Sign in to follow this  
gunter

Getting Rid Of A Smell

howdy fellow crafters,

my brother-in-law's house burned down, for a part. now some special things they want to save and one of these things is a leather belt. the belt smells due to the fire, a burned smell. I've downa lot with leather, but never had a question given to me like this one and frankly I'm kinda stuck here. Is there a way to get rid of this smokey smell?

cheers,

gunter

I would try a mix of water and vinegar followed by a cleaning with saddle soap and finally an application of neatsfoot oil.

BillB

howdy fellow crafters,

my brother-in-law's house burned down, for a part. now some special things they want to save and one of these things is a leather belt. the belt smells due to the fire, a burned smell. I've downa lot with leather, but never had a question given to me like this one and frankly I'm kinda stuck here. Is there a way to get rid of this smokey smell?

cheers,

gunter

After you clean it it need sair. Lots of airr. If possible hang it near a fan or outside in the wind. It will smell for a long time.

As someone has already mentioned, vinegar is good for removing odors. Used it on a saddle once. Afterwards a good cleaning with saddle soap or a good rub down with mink oil might do the trick. The misses uses this stuff called Fabrez (?) to remove the smells from our dogs on the couch. That stuff can take away that smell maybe it will work on your belt. Blue Tics smell pretty bad. LOL

Our dry cleaners have a room that they put smelly clothes in and run a professional ozone machine for a few hours. It really works for removing fire and smoke smells... even cat pee!

After I had a fire, a cleaners came and took everything I owned and took care of it. I had a pair of Indian made smoked deerskin mocasins and they even got the smell out of them. I believe they used an ozone room for that. It was not my local cleaners though, they were in DC and was a big co.

thanks guys,

I will try this next weekend ;-).