Sign in to follow this  
Maureen

Martingale Dog Collars

we're new to the board so I thought I'd throw up a few pictures of our specialty - martingale dog collars. We cater to retired racing greyhounds who need the martingale style collars as they can back out of buckle collars. We make them adjustable in size by using a buckle closed control loop to connect the main body of the collar. But we have made all sizes of collars for all types of dogs and sent them all around the world.

This is a custom stamp I had made from a drawing. We use a 5 ton press (not pneumatic, hand operated with a lever) to cut out the tapered shape and then to impress the stamps. We block dye most of our stamped collars because we can't get the antiquing or staining down good enough. We line everything (even the rivet backs) with deer tanned cowhide and I sew them with my Pfaff 1524. All the stress points are rivetted so I'm only sewing on the lining - nothing critical to holding a dog safe.

IMG_5177.jpg

here are a few other stamped style collars - yes, we use Tandy belt blanks to turn into collars at times :blush:

IMG_5161.jpg

We also use factory dyed leather with conchos rather than tooling. We love the bullhide from Hide House. This is our setup at events.

IMG_0492.jpg

We both have full time jobs and do this out of our basement on weekends. It's been fun these last few years.

Maureen and Sean

www.longdogleather.com

we're new to the board so I thought I'd throw up a few pictures of our specialty - martingale dog collars. We cater to retired racing greyhounds who need the martingale style collars as they can back out of buckle collars. We make them adjustable in size by using a buckle closed control loop to connect the main body of the collar. But we have made all sizes of collars for all types of dogs and sent them all around the world.

This is a custom stamp I had made from a drawing. We use a 5 ton press (not pneumatic, hand operated with a lever) to cut out the tapered shape and then to impress the stamps. We block dye most of our stamped collars because we can't get the antiquing or staining down good enough. We line everything (even the rivet backs) with deer tanned cowhide and I sew them with my Pfaff 1524. All the stress points are rivetted so I'm only sewing on the lining - nothing critical to holding a dog safe.

here are a few other stamped style collars - yes, we use Tandy belt blanks to turn into collars at times :blush:

We also use factory dyed leather with conchos rather than tooling. We love the bullhide from Hide House. This is our setup at events.

We both have full time jobs and do this out of our basement on weekends. It's been fun these last few years.

Maureen and Sean

www.longdogleather.com

Nice story and nice product line. My take on having fun? If you do not enjoy it, get something else going. LOL

ferg

Excuse my ignorance please........But what exactly is a martingale collar?

IMG_5177.jpg

IMG_5161.jpg

IMG_0492.jpg

Maureen and Sean

www.longdogleather.com

a martingale is also called a limited slip collar. Because sight hounds have smaller heads than necks they can just back right out of a buckle collar. A martingale tightens up when the leash is pulled so that they cannot slip out of their collar and take off. The main collar body is closed off with a smaller loop where the leash hooks. This loop will tighten up to a certain point only (when the ends of the main collar touch) so that it is safer than a choke chain which can tighten past the point where the animal can suffocate.

Martingale collars are becoming popular with other breeds of dogs too as the extra control gained with the tightening up helps with any dog.

This is our retired racing greyhound, Mr. Murphy modelling his stingray martingale.

IMG_0092-1.jpg

thank you for the explantion, I was going to ask about the collars as well. They look very nice.