Sign in to follow this  
Ferg

Japanese Made Consew 206Rb-5

First of all I think I am going to love this little machine.

Won't have my Speed Reducer maybe, until Monday, I did change the pulley size to 2" on the Consew 550 Servo.

#14 needle with 68 thread on top, 46 in the bobbin. Servo set about halfway on the speed dial. Sewed single layer of 8 oz. Cowhide Veg tanned.

Stitches set at "6" on the dial, If I can remove the dial plate, turn enough to make it read in reverse, put it back on. Seems to me the dial is backwards in reference to the stitches.

Slowest sewing speed I could get was about 6" in about 3 seconds. Had no problems at that speed. Increasing speed "fudged up" the thread in the needle. Changed needle to a #16

same thread. Speed did not make any difference but I didn't try to make it "fly". Nice stitch.

Put #138 thread on top with #92 in the bobbin. Increased needle size to a #20. Two thicknesses of 8 oz. veg tanned cow hide. Adjusted tension on top, haven't touched tension on the bobbin yet.

Timing seems to be perfect. Had to increase the speed dial on servo about 10%, moved faster than I wanted but was not hard to hold a steady straight line, reverse worked like a charm.

One layer of 4/5 oz. horse hide, two layers of veg tanned 6/8 oz. cowhide. Same set up as above. Had to bump the speed dial just a tad so it could penetrate that much leather, especially

with Horse Hide. Sewed fine but I didn't like the looks of the back side. Needle holes were not cut clean, speed may have something to do with that, don't know.

One layer of 6/8 oz. Veg Tanned Cowhide with one layer of 4/5 oz. Oiled cowhide. Beautiful stitch both sides. Obviously this type of sewing is this machines "Long Suit".

I didn't attempt to ease the foot pressure. Obvious marks on the leather, some people may not care or notice but I don't want it that way. Seems ridiculous to have to smooth the marks

after sewing. Working on that:)

Keystone is sending me a speed reducer with three pulley sizes, 3", 6", & 9". For anyone that does not know, the nine inch is belted to the small servo pulley with the other two being available

for connection to the machine. They also have a Needle Plate that replaces the serrated Dogs that come with the machine so there is a smooth surface next to leather you are sewing

that may have finish sides top and bottom, this being on the bottom surface of course. Keystone is also sending Walking Feet that are smooth with left and one with right side removed so you

can sew close against a vertical side.

I have #207 thread but do not have any needles larger than the #22. They definitely are not large enough for this thread. Can only go to #24 or maybe #25 needles on this machine.

May give some folks a little edge if buying a new Consew or any of a number of other similar machines.

I am a machinery addict, just ask my wife. I love this new Toy!!!

ferg

Ferg,

Good deal, let me know if I can be of any assistance installing your new reducer and needle plate. BTW...the reducer is the same one we have been sucessfully selling for years, but is not a three, but two speed, fixed. We get these from the same people who sell your Consew. Normally, this makes life a lot easer when it comes to install, and belts. Nobody I've worked with seems to change when installed, and your CSM-550 motor will provide great control. If this is not an item you don't think you can work with, please feel free to return it for full refund, no problems at all!

Also, thanks for thinking of us for parts and accessories...even though we didn't sell to you your Consew 206RB-5 and CSM-550, that does not mean we don't want to sell you service, parts, and accessories!

Thanks again!