I've been working with leather for a little while now and am still confused on the difference in certain finishes. I've tried resolene, satin sheen, bag kote, tan kote, and leather balm with atom wax. I know that resolene and satin sheen are acrylics and resolene creates a high gloss result that I dislike. What finish is the best for a little to no gloss look but also provides the best moisture protection? I know that none are "water resistant", but some protect better than others. And what is the difference between bag kote and tan kote? I also generally apply a coat of neutral shoe polish on top of whatever finish I use, which is usually satin sheen. Is this a good idea or does anyone have any better suggestions?

Montana Pitchblend paste, Pecard's paste, Aussie, also a paste.

Tan Kote is glossier than Bag Kote.

Leather Balm with Atom wax better than shoe polish, in my opinion, I even put over Pecard's, MP, or Aussie sometimes (after Pecard's, MP, or Aussie soaks in completely).

Art

I've been working with leather for a little while now and am still confused on the difference in certain finishes. I've tried resolene, satin sheen, bag kote, tan kote, and leather balm with atom wax. I know that resolene and satin sheen are acrylics and resolene creates a high gloss result that I dislike. What finish is the best for a little to no gloss look but also provides the best moisture protection? I know that none are "water resistant", but some protect better than others. And what is the difference between bag kote and tan kote? I also generally apply a coat of neutral shoe polish on top of whatever finish I use, which is usually satin sheen. Is this a good idea or does anyone have any better suggestions?

From the old grump; believe it or don't. I use (and have used for well over 40 years) a 50/50 mix of 'Mop and Glo' and water (yes, the floor stuff) sprayed on with a cheap airbrush. One person has used a cheap kitchen 'pump' sprayer with good results. Stay back off of you project and just 'mist' on a light coat, allow to dry and hit it just once again with just a misting. When thoroughly dry, 20 minutes or so, rub in a light coat of Kiwi neutral shoe polish by hand --- no rag, applicator or such --- then buff to a nice sheen. I made this sheath for the little Schrade skinner in the early '70s --- and used it a lot ---- that's the original finish. Just FWIW, as you didn't pay a penny for my comments. Mike

P. S. It's what I use on ALL of my pieces.

012.jpg

Edited by katsass