Sign in to follow this  
Regis

Can I tool dyed vegetable tanned leather?

I've only used un-dyed veg tanned leather for tooling. I see that some suppliers sell tooling leather that is already dyed (e.g. W & C has black). I can see where black might be a little hard to see while tooling but, are there any other disadvantages / advantages?

Thanks,

Regis

Hi Regis,

If the dye does not strike (penetrate) completely to the center of the leather (happens on thicker leather more often) you can and do tool down to the undyed part and it shows.

Art

I've only used un-dyed veg tanned leather for tooling. I see that some suppliers sell tooling leather that is already dyed (e.g. W & C has black). I can see where black might be a little hard to see while tooling but, are there any other disadvantages / advantages?

Thanks,

Regis

Hi Regis,

If the dye does not strike (penetrate) completely to the center of the leather (happens on thicker leather more often) you can and do tool down to the undyed part and it shows.

Art

I can see where that could be incorporated into one's design if it was consistent enough. To follow up on Regis' question, as I'm seriously considering a purchase of the W&C black veg tan, are there any problems with casing it, does it tool similarly to regular veg tan ?

I use Wickett and Craig almost exclusively. Compaired to their Russet (natural) which carves, tools and oils beautifully, the Chestnut dyed is next best with very little difference in the properties. The Black, on the other hand, does not tool or carve as well and it is hard to see tooling on black. It also does not case quite as well. I believe this is probably due to the chemical makeup of black due vs. the brown tone dyes. I have noticed with Feibing's Professional Oil Dye that the Browns do not make the wool swabs I use hard when the dye dries out, but the back causes them to get rock hard. I have also noticed that black dye will make leather stiffer than the brown tones.

In summation, Russet and Chestnut good to go, Black not so much.

Paul

Edited by sheathmaker

Thanks all. Paul, you sure helped me make up my mind for an order to W&C.

Regis