Studio-N

And Even More Embossing Plates Completed

And Even More Embossing Plates Completed for the same customer.

post-2828-0-66092700-1423069951_thumb.jp

post-2828-0-32207100-1423069957_thumb.jp

post-2828-0-92670500-1423069966_thumb.jp

post-2828-0-41291100-1423069976_thumb.jp

Inspiring as always.

Chris

thanks Chris.

I'll have to look for your other ones, these are very inspiring indeed.

I'm not sure of your intent but I see areas in each that have detail and other areas that seem to simply suggest part of the form, like a silhouette, if you will. This makes the viewer, or me at least, think about it more and I humbly consider that one of the hallmarks of fine art.

I'm not sure of your intent but I see areas in each that have detail and other areas that seem to simply suggest part of the form, like a silhouette, if you will. This makes the viewer, or me at least, think about it more and I humbly consider that one of the hallmarks of fine art.

To see the others, I think you can just view my profile and then check my content.

Some interesting points- some forms are actually silhuettes in the original woodworking models. Some are the results of the limitaion of the tools (including the leather). The facial features for instance are small in what is typically a 12 inch model. Once I reduce that to 3 inches, the eyes nose and mouth are but a blip although technically still there. I am using a 1/16" ball nose bit to do the carving, However those blips are thinner than 1/16" so as a result they don't get put in, or if they are in, the leather can't stretch enough to get up into that tiny recess. The end result is only the 'hint' of a face.

Of course, an embossing stamp is just a tool and is often just a starting point. It takes a lot of the big work out of a project and details can still be put in manually. I have a customer who is using these and he still goes thu and bevels around the figures and adds in little detail. The end result is he has taken what I give him and greatly improves it for some very nice results. I'm trying to make some stamps that can stand on there own but there is alway the human touch that's needed.

Cheers!

Edited by Studio-N

I managed to steal a few more minutes and just scrolled down in the show off section to find your other recent ones, they are nice too! It sounds like you didn't take my comment about the detail the wrong way and I'm glad for that. I don't know much about CNC machining but a 1/16" bit seems awful small to be dragging around with a machine if you ask me and minding the pun, that makes it them even more impressive!

Fully got the jist WW. I know the limitations. I've only been at it about 5 month now, so everything is an experiment. You should see the one's that didn't work out.

If it was wood, 1/16 would be too small to do it all at once. Normally you do a 'rough out' pass to remove a lot of excess material. Delrin (and most plastics) are pretty forgiving

so you can go straight to the finishing work. as it is - using this gives off a whole lot of tiny plastic 'dust'. Static cling being what it is, that stuff sticks to everything!!

I built a simple cardboard box to catch most of it. I actually works very well. going straight to a finish cut is reducing the cut time down by about 50% (only 3 hours now).

cheers!

-Nick