Sign in to follow this  
eminart

What Kind Of Cutting Tool Do I Need?

Stupid newbs asking stupid questions.

I want to make some fairly intricate cuts all the way through my leather (4-8oz). Not knowing squat, I saw and grabbed a swivel knife at Tandy this afternoon. When I got it home, I realized that it's used for surface carving. Unless, there's another blade for it that's used to actually cut through leather? If not, what should I use?

To clarify, I basically want to cut swirly holes through a piece of leather. I guess I could use an exacto, but I'm thinking there's probably a better tool out there.

I guess I could use an exacto

That's what I use.

While they do make a swivel knive that is designed for cutting through leather that is called a filagree blade, I myself use an exacto knife becaquse it's very thin blade workks better for me. Because the blade is disposable and relatively cheap I have many blades and can change one out when it gets dull. Not that I throw them away - I hone them as sharp as new on a diamond hone and reuse them over and over. I do my work with the leather on top of a piece of styrofoam or foam type insulation board which allows me to penetrate the leather as much as I want without damaging the blade.

Edited by WyomingSlick

Well, alright, exacto it is since that's what you professionals are using. Too bad I'm 500 miles from home where I have several exacto blades. Guess I'll go to the store again.

Thanks guys!

I find you get more pressure with a larger handle on the knife.