Sign in to follow this  
CajunMojo

Head Knife From Circular Saw Blade

Made a head knife from a circular saw blade yesterday. It needs to be sharpened and polished and of course a handle. Any Advice.

CIMG1008.JPG

post-14576-127307173745_thumb.jpg

Edited by CajunMojo

Make sure you retemper the edge after any grinding, and take your time so you don't have any soft spots. A lot of circular saw blades are made from L6 steel which while durable, can rust pretty quickly. For your primary taper, try 22 degrees.

Made a head knife from a circular saw blade yesterday. It needs to be sharpened and polished and of course a handle. Any Advice.

Andy , It is looking good. Can't wait to see the finished project.I bet it will look nice. And you tell me you are a begginer. rightttt .Gary

Circular saw blades are usually very soft. Not sure if it can be properly tempered or not. I always use hand saw blades.

I made a little sheath knife out of a cir. saw blade styled after a Mora knife. Using a torch I took it to the transitional state and quenched in water. (oil might have been better) Tempered it to "straw" w. the torch and parkerized it. No issues with edge holding that I can see. Of course, it doesn't get hard use like a field knife should, but for the little bit of testing I did, it held up. I guess a lot will depend on the blade steel itself, too.

Electrathon, are you using new saws or finding old ones and cleaning them up?