broncobuster

anyone have a neels machine?

I have a neels saddlery machine. my problem is the feed foot(bottom feeder) or jaws whatever you want to call it lol. is really sharp n it leaves marks on the leather. ive adjusted the pressure foot but doesnt make much difference. If i file them down will that work? otherwise ill just call them thanks Bonnie

I have a neels saddlery machine. my problem is the feed foot(bottom feeder) or jaws whatever you want to call it lol. is really sharp n it leaves marks on the leather. ive adjusted the pressure foot but doesnt make much difference. If i file them down will that work? otherwise ill just call them thanks Bonnie

Sounds like you have the Model 5. File those teeth half way down. You'll see some improvement. You may also want to stitch much more slowly and try helping feed the leather more by hand.

Ed

Hi BB,

Presser foot pressure won't make much difference, and the dogs are about all the feed you've got. You can't file the dogs all the way to smooth, there won't be any feed left. You can knock the tops off the ridges on the feed dog which will make them less sharp and cut down some on the marking. Problem is you might have to up the presser foot pressure, might work with duller dogs. Grind or file, but be gentle, and take the dogs out to do it, you don't want to get filings in the shuttle race (or anything else). Gluing pieces together before sewing will help feeding, but transitioning up hill going from thin to thick may require that you push or pull the work to assist in feeding. Try to design your work so the bottom of stitching is not visible; not always possible but try.

Art

I do have a neels and yes the bottom piece of leather does get chewed up sometimes, worse if any moisture is present, I have very carefully buffed the teeth smoother after grinding the edges rounder rather than shorter if that makes any sense. It was Ed's machine so some of the grinding had already been done so I mostly rounded and smoothed. Too much and the leather will not advance so there is a limit to the modifications.

thanks everyone, yes its a 5, I run it slow n lessen the foot pressure n still get marks but i will try the filing i had that in mind but wanted to see other opinions. thanks again. Bonnie

Hi Bonnie,

I have a model 5 also. I have adjusted the tension and the feed dog height and it's helped quite a bit. It will still leave marks but for my work it's not a problem. I bought a spare feed dog and one of these days when I get time I'm going to file them down a bit (about 1/16 inch) and round off the edges just a bit. You don't want to really round them off, just break the sharp edge with a file. I tried adjusting the feed dogs all the way down but the bobbin assembly starts hitting them. So if I grind them down a little I should be able to adjust the height some without it hitting the bobbin assembly. The other thing I found was to make sure the leather I'm sewing is dry, it leaves less of a mark on dry leather.

Just a side note, I just bought a Consew walking foot portable machine a few weeks ago. It also has feed dogs and it leaves marks on the bottom of the leather that I'm sewing. I haven't tried adjusting the feed dogs on it yet. I am new to leather machines at this point but it looks like if it has feed dogs it will leave marks.

John

Just a suggestion intead of filing the feed dog. Maybe try to use as buffing wheel on it. It seems to work pretty good, by getting the rough egdes, and smoothing at same time.

Has anyone tried dipping the part in that liquid rubber stuff they sell to dip tool handles in? Haven't tried it but just a thought.

Has anyone tried dipping the part in that liquid rubber stuff they sell to dip tool handles in? Haven't tried it but just a thought.

but a very, very nice thought. Any worries about some of the rubber coming off and getting ground up in the machinery beneath the needle plate? Probably not a concern.

ed