amuckart

T-Wrenches And Square-Head Screws

Hi all,

Along with my Pearson I've got a few machines with square-head screws all over, but I'm having a bear of a time finding T-wrenches to go with them. Can anyone point me to a source that doesn't involve selling a kidney to fund the purchase?

Where I am I haven't even had any luck finding sockets for square head screws. The local auto parts store has 'universal' jobs, but they go in the same drawer as adjustable wrenches and only get used for things I don't care about afterwards. I'd rather have proper t-wrenches than sockets anyway, sockets are a PITA for quick minor adjustments.

If anyone knows where I can get replacement square head machine screws I'd be real interested. I suspect the most likely place to find 'em these days is near the back end of the proverbial rocking horse. I've got access to BSW tap/die sets so it's conceivable I could get some made up and thread them myself. If I did that would getting the 'blanks' cast work, or do they need to be machined up?

Thanks.

I get my square head screws and T-wrenches from Campbell-Randall, in Yoakum, Texas. These screws are used all over the Campbell-Randall and Union Lockstitch needle and awl harness stitching machines, which they build and sell.

I got a nice set of all heads at LOWES. About $39.00. Has all types and sizes. Better than re-threading.

Kevin

Thanks Wiz, I'll drop them a line. Do you know if the Campbell uses Whitworth or SAE machine screws?

Hi Kevin,

I got a nice set of all heads at LOWES. About $39.00. Has all types and sizes. Better than re-threading.

What do you mean by "all heads"?

Cheers.

Hi Al

you just asked the right question. I've been Making my own Spanners from Metal Tube and forming them with Heat, a vice, Hammer and Curses for years. All have disapeared to friends borrowing, now I have one left (I hope). I regularly get asked for Square headed Screws and the Spanners to fit them. Now you've asked the right question and got the right answers. I'll be after them also.

Kindest Regards.

Jim Saddler.

Hi Kevin,

What do you mean by "all heads"?

Cheers.

I have a set for my Landis 12s, they are the ones that came with them. You can get replacements at Shoe Systems Plus/Landis Canada. Also, the Union Locks have square head bolts so Dan Neagle at Campbell-Bosworth could maybe give you a lead.

Art

Hi all,

Along with my Pearson I've got a few machines with square-head screws all over, but I'm having a bear of a time finding T-wrenches to go with them. Can anyone point me to a source that doesn't involve selling a kidney to fund the purchase?

Where I am I haven't even had any luck finding sockets for square head screws. The local auto parts store has 'universal' jobs, but they go in the same drawer as adjustable wrenches and only get used for things I don't care about afterwards. I'd rather have proper t-wrenches than sockets anyway, sockets are a PITA for quick minor adjustments.

If anyone knows where I can get replacement square head machine screws I'd be real interested. I suspect the most likely place to find 'em these days is near the back end of the proverbial rocking horse. I've got access to BSW tap/die sets so it's conceivable I could get some made up and thread them myself. If I did that would getting the 'blanks' cast work, or do they need to be machined up?

Thanks.

Hi Al,

The Campbell and Randal machines including Union Locks i have worked on had SAE threads (some of them probably before there was an SAE). Singers are a whole different story. If your holes were tapped with a Whitworth tap, then you can chuck up an SAE screw in the lathe and just clip the peaks off the threads. An alternative is to run the SAE screw into a Whitworth die. I don't like the idea of retapping a Whitworth to SAE, and have never attempted it, modifying a screw to the Whitworth spec is a lot easier than the other way around.

Art

Thanks Wiz, I'll drop them a line. Do you know if the Campbell uses Whitworth or SAE machine screws?

Campbell-Randall Company had some custom screws turned for me, for my 101 year old Union Lockstitch machine. I imagine that if one was to send them a mechanical drawing of a desired screw, they could make it, or have an existing one modified to the required pitch. They already have quite a variety of square head screws and matching t-wrenches. My ULS machine uses three different square head wrench sizes. I own the small and medium wrenches for adjusting timing and the bobbin shuttle position. I just use a suitable 12 pt socket to remove the bigger quad-head screws securing the face plate containing the awl and pressor foot bars.

Somebody with a mini-milling machine and lathe should be able to make 4 sided wrenches.