NoName

Can Anyone Identify This Swivelknife?

A friend recently acquired this swivelknife. The box it was is said Old Smoothie on the outside.

I have a couple of Chuck Smith's Old Smoothies and there is not much resemblance. The barrel is quite similar to a Gomph Hackbarth.

It takes a blade with the standard size shaft.

The yoke shape is much more crisp than the old blued Tandy pro knife and swivels smoothly with no wobble.

Thanks for your help.

post-28005-023050700 1330025961_thumb.jp

post-28005-026161500 1330025975_thumb.jp

I have one in my collection though I have not been able to identify the maker either. It has very smooth action.

I would guess that it was sold by Tandy under the Craftool name, although it may have been a Leather Factory Knife. Both seemed to have slightly differant models from year to year. I have five or six myself, all slightly differant, including one that was supposed to be a gold-plated aniversary model. All of them have the set screw length adjustment and the heavier cast yoke feature with swivel bearings. Some seem to be better bearings than others.

It is interesting that most swivel knife makers never felt the need to brand their tools until recent years. Even Ray Hackbarth only marked some of his knives with his name. Same with Osbourne and HD knives. In any case, a good knife is a good knife, regardless of the name on it.

Thank you for the input Wyo. I thought it was the old Tandy pro knife as well when I first saw it, but it can't be. I have an one of the old blued Tandy models and this one is far superior.

Thank you for the input Wyo. I thought it was the old Tandy pro knife as well when I first saw it, but it can't be. I have an one of the old blued Tandy models and this one is far superior.

Have you thought about contacting Chuck Smith and asking him if he recognizes it as one of his Old Smoothie models?