Sign in to follow this  
3arrows

Sewing new sheepskin on skirts

I'm restoring a barrel saddle for one of my customers, an old Martha Josey 15 1/2" racer. I need to replace the sheepskin on it, it now has synthetic on it and it worn out. I dont know why it was repaired with cheap synthetic fleece, but anyway , thats another discussion we can have over beers one day.

I have bought the sheepskin to replace it, have disassembled the saddle skirts,etc., cleaned the old junk fleece off of the skirts, glued the sheepskin on, and am now ready to finish up the sewing job. Since this is my first attempt to do this type of job, Im practicing on an old saddle that I have that is my practice saddle (screw up my own stuff before i screw up a customer's). My question is, when I use my awl and a lock stitch to sew on the sheepskin, I have to keep coming back and tighten up the loops since the skeepskin is keeping the loops from tightening up right away, I guess it take a while for the thread to compress the fleece. Is the lock stitch the right stitch to use or should I be using a two needle "saddle stitch" (aka from Al Stohlman's Art of Handsewing Leather book)?? I also have a sewing machine, but didnt think it would work sewing the thick sheepskin, seems like it would get hung in the walking foot.

As usual, any help will be greatly appreciated as I learn the proper methods of doing these types of simple repairs., thanks ron.. :helpsmilie:

The correct way is to use the two needle method. Use plenty of wax on the thread so to make sure you lock your stitches good. Good luck, I would never sew skirts by hand. My old hands would not take it.

Randy

Thanks Randy, Im learning as fast as I can, and help is always appreciated. Do you use a sewing machine to sew yours? how do you keep the fur from jamming the feet on the machine?? thanks ron

Try your sewing machine on some scraps that is close to the project. If you just have a dog feed you may have to help it along a little. My machines are needle feed plus the dogs so have no issue sewing skirts. Otherwise use 2 needles and an awl.

have fun.

Ron,

Use the two needle method of sewing, but remember on your waxed thread burnish the thread with a brown paper sack to keep the wool fibers from grabbing the thread and pulling through and clogging your awl holes.

Tim

I tried my sewing machine and it seems to work ok, My machine is limited because of the bed and throat size. I am tryiny to learn the two needle "Saddle stitch" method. My problem is finding the hole from the fleece side of the saddle. Is there an easy way to do this? The fleece is so thick i cant easily find the thread or the hole to punch back through. Obviously the leather/saddle side is easy enough. Any good hints about how to do this, or is this just one of those things that takes a while to get the "feel" of?? thanks ron..

By the Way, Andy great web site,,,great layout and content, really good info. Check out my web site: http://www.3arrowstack.com

Edited by 3arrows

when i shand stitch the backside of something that I can't see ...push the awl through and place the needle on the awl blade where it protrudes and as you pull the awl out cause the needle to follow it into the hole. It works but it will take practice.

Im on it,thanks for the tip. And hey, this is much easier. Other than the small amount of blood on the sheepskin, from poking a hole in my finger while trying to follow the awl blade through, its working great. This is a much easier method than the "Search and poke" method..thanks Andy, I owe you a cold one!!! ron

Edited by 3arrows

rather than using an awl to follow through from the sheepskin side try using the other needle, if you are using the two needle system.