ColtD

Cutting Indian Tan (Latigo) Strings

I am wanting to make up some hackamore bodies out of Latigo, but was told by another braider that latigo could only be cut straight. I have never used latigo and wondered what you guys that use it some do to get the length of string needed. Ive seen some nice bosals out of indian tan latigo. I have some old old ones that are very good still. Thanks in advance for the help

I bought an Alum-tan latigo side last winter and so far have made 6 -12 strand 5/8ths Hackamores/ roo buttons and 1- 8 strand 3/8ths/ roo buttons. I trimmed the edges and cleaned up the bad spots and took off around and around at just under 1/4" and finished the strings at 21/2/32 thick and a full 5/32 wide. I still have enough for several more Hackamores. If I start getting to many corners on the ends, I'll just finish it in long pieces. Years ago I took a real nice latigo side and cut 600' of string all at the same time. They are big enough to go round and round and not develop corners til the end. The Alum tan does have a few thin spots but I haven't had any problems yet. If I can I try to move the thinner spot at the end of my braid that will get lopped off anyway or right in the middle that will get covered by the nosebutton. I hope this helps and if I can help more, let me know. Brad

I ask a saddlemaker friend & he said no problem. He does it regularly for lace & saddle strings. Buck

I have frequently cut latigo strings continuously off of circles with no problems. But I was using very lightweight stuff to cut 3/16 strings for nose and heel buttons. Never used it for the body but I don't know why it wouldn't work. And I know that whip cutters, if there are any left, cut the tapered sets for whips round and round off of Indian tan.