Sign in to follow this  
ChimeraKennels

Well, Don't Beat Me Up Too Bad...

First let me say, I still plan on getting the Cowboy 3500 or 4500 in the future...but I came across a machine today that I just couldn't let pass me by. Getting this machine will probably put me back on the Cowboy until next summer most likely (I am a teacher and have summers off)...but I am comfortable with that.

I found local add on craigslist for a Pfaff 145-4H-6/10 machine that was in "good condition" and original owner. I called em up...spoke to the owner's daughter, as the man that owns the machine is deaf and unable to talk on the phone. He was in his seventies and was retired from a hobby-reuphulstery business while also working for the post office. . I go to visit...and the machine is VERY tight (in terms of not having any wobble in the feet or needle), sews smooth with a nice stitch, and the price was very reasonable. It was actually a pleasure to meet this man and his daughter. His wife died about 7 years ago and he was now going to be moving out west to Seattle, Washington to live with his daughter...and couldn't take the machine with him. He man was having a hard time letting the machine go, but knew it was necessary as his daughter didn't have room for it at her home. They were very nice people and I spent some time talking to them...in fact the daughter ended up getting teary eyed & requested that they take a few pictures of me and her father as it has been part of his life since 1965. He still had the original wooden box and padding cover that came with the machine. It really looked like the machine has been used rather lightly compared to others I have seen...as it still had nearly of its original paint on the flatbed still...and I can tell it has not been repainted.

Now, I have no plans on doing the thick leather collars with this machine...just the nylon and maybe some thin leather...but before I do, I want to give the machine a good "cleaning." Even though everything was very tight and ran smooth as butter...and well like..."a sewing machine"...if you looked down into the unit, it is a bit greasy/oily...and has some lint in there. There are two things on the machine that I don't know what are...some sort of attachment. I will photograph those once I get the machine cleaned.

I understand you don't want to clean these things with just any solvent (I would have thought break or gun cleaner would have been fine since both evaporate leaving clean metal), but I will have our local sewing machine go through this machine for me to clean it all out and relube (grease & oil) and give it the service it needs, as I wouldn't want to overlook something. Everything is so tight and it sewed so well though I don't suspect it would need any thing else. Just thought I would share the news.

I especially want to thank Wizcraft for all his help. I will be sure to let you know when I get that Cowboy.

Edited by ChimeraKennels

I hope you know that Pfaff 145 have a very limited lifespan!Unlike the Cowboys we sell.

LOL-just kidding!They are great machines & we have the parts,needles,feet,thread & etc in stock for it.

It sounds like a great machine.

Bob

Is there any plastic on that machine? The machine I used brake cleaner on had NO plastic, brake cleaner can make plastic soft, and it WILL fog clear plastic (oil sight windows, etc).

If you do use brake cleaner, follow the instructions, use in a well ventilated area, wear safety googles (this stuff isn't good for the eyes, trust me), no open flames, and I used an air hose to accelerate the evaporation and blow away the big chunks. Immediatly followed by fresh, clean oiling all metal surfaces to ensure no moisture got in the pores.

Edited by mogwild

Correction on the model...the last two digits are not "10" but "1C"...making it Pfaff 145-H4-6/1C

Then benieth that it says "LMNP" (but I don't know what that is. The serial number is below the flatbed...right in the front.

Mogwild. No plastic. After reading up a bit, I see it is "ok" according to many to use break cleaner, so I just cleaned it up. Lubed it, and getting ready to put it on the table here soon to give her a go.

Spoke to Bob this morning and ordered a new table top for the table. The old table was rough...although the machine is good.

OK...here are a few pictures now that it is clean. Here are my questions. This first photo, you see me holding something above the machine. My guess is it is a spool holder...that you fold it down, slide the spool on, and then fold it back up. I haven't seen one like this, but that would make sense to me, especially for small spools. But of course I have a tree for holding larger spools on the desk itself. Am I correct about this item, or is it an additional line guide of some type?

Phaff145.jpg

Next...what is this thing in this next picture below? I have no idea...

Phaff145pic2.jpg

Next, the spring that applies the downward pressure is the only item I wonder about being "out of spec" or possibly replaced. I really don't know if it is, but man...it really pushes down pretty hard even when the foot tension dial at the top is screwed out all the way. Could someone have put too large a spring in this machine, or are they supposed to push down really hard? It has no problems sewing or feeding...so, excuse me if I am just mistaken. Finally, one will also notice that this machine doesn't have the cross bar going across the top of the foot tension adjustment over to the back of the head as some of the 145's and 545's do. I have noticed some do, and some don't. Can someone tell me what that is about? Thank you.

Phaff145spring.jpg