aussiejohnno

Separating Glued Paper Backing From Leather Wallet

I'm a first time leather hobbyist and have purchased the Beginner's Starter kit from Tandy, In the accompanying DVD, they show that to make a leather wallet, one should glue a piece of cardboard behind the leather to avoid it stretching and deforming during the stamping process. The supplied contact glue was used to do this. Can anyone recommend the best way to later remove the cardboard without leaving a messy glue residue with bits of cardboard attached?

Ohhhhhhh.... I don't know if you'll ever get it all off. Usually you use rubber cement, not contact. Contact cement is meant to be permanent

You may be able to peel some of it off and then glue on a fabric liner.

Yea, highly unlikely you will ever get it off. Even if you used rubber cement(which is correct) you likely would never get all the paper off, and the glue residue is permanent.

Next time, use packing tape on the back. It can be pulled off. If you are going to line it, then use rubber cement and glue it down to a piece of plexi-glass.

I think someone gave me a copy of the video you have a while back, it was pretty bad. If you want to learn, get a Chan Geer video, the difference in learning will be night and day.

Aaron

Try using lighter fluid, I have used it before on other types of permanent glues. You have to soak it and pull very easy, also once it starts coming off squirt the fluid right between the two layers and pull slowly. Be very careful with the lighter fluid it is very flammable so use it outside away from fire. It will take a couple of days for the fluid to dry out of the leather but I don't think it will stain it. I tried it here and it worked quite well. Good luck and label those glue cans!!!

Thanks for your advice everyone. Maybe I should try double-sided tape. The plexiglass idea is a good one for more than a one off. I could use it as a template as well for marking holes and perhaps use a few cotton stiches to hold things and do away with adhesives all together. The lighter fluid would have been a good idea if I had already committed myself. Fortunately I asked for advice before I had the chance to stuff it up. I'll look for the Chan Geer video too. It may be on Youtube if I'm lucky.