I have ordered from The Thread Exchange. #277 bonded nylon that I have received was Linhanyl brand, and quality was as expected. My orders have been placed by phone. Customer service was good, shipments have been well packed and delivered promptly.

Same here. In fact, I ordered the same thing, same way, and was also happy with the transactions.

I have ordered from The Thread Exchange. #277 bonded nylon that I have received was Linhanyl brand, and quality was as expected. My orders have been placed by phone. Customer service was good, shipments have been well packed and delivered promptly.

Same here. In fact, I ordered the same thing, same way, and was also happy with the transactions.

Absolutely flawless ordering and delivery. If there is any question about the order they will call you to clarify.

I order from the Net.

ferg

Sorry to hijack, but what is the difference between bonded and regular (non-bonded?)? I assume the 277 is for machine work and hand stitching would be better suited to 415?

Sorry to hijack, but what is the difference between bonded and regular (non-bonded?)? I assume the 277 is for machine work and hand stitching would be better suited to 415?

JoelR:

"Bonded" nylon generally refers to multiple-strand nylon filament threads that are intended for machine stitching without the need for lubrication. Size #277 (or T270 as it is also called) is a four-strand thread having significant strength, and is useful for many heavy-duty applications.

Hand-stitching can be done with just about any thread weight or type. #415 is a very heavy-duty product that will serve just about any needs. Waxed thread (lubricated with wax) is prefered for some hand-stitching applications, however bonded nylon will do quite well for most. Some stitching machines can be fitted with lubrication stations, applying waxy solutions to the thread as it is advanced into the machine (generally a messy and unpleasant solution).

Nylon threads, in general, offer the specific advantage of not requiring lubrication (waxing, etc). Nylon threads also offer considerable strength (sheer strength, resistance to breaking under stress) when compared to some other thread types. Nylon also resists mildew, mold, ultraviolet light exposure, and other potentially deteriorating factors better than some other types. Nylon threads also suffer from more tendency to stretch (as much as 30% under some conditions) under load than some other types.

As is the case with many things in life, everything is a compromise. What thread type? What weight or size? Lubricated or un-lubricated? If there are any absolute answers that apply to all circumstances and applications I haven't found them yet.

Best regards.

Thanks for this lead...for hand-stitching thread, looks like I can get twice as much, for half as much as I've been paying at my local supply store!