amuckart

Decrypting Canu Needle Standard Notation

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone on here can help me. I'm trying to get my head around CANU needle notation, but I can't find any documentation anywhere on what the numbers mean. Does anyone have a reference to the notation or an explanation of what the fields mean that they can share?

Thanks.

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone on here can help me. I'm trying to get my head around CANU needle notation, but I can't find any documentation anywhere on what the numbers mean. Does anyone have a reference to the notation or an explanation of what the fields mean that they can share?

Thanks.

If you are referring to CANU numbers (CAtalogue NUmbers), understand this is system of, ahem... 'Standardization', and is used exclusively by Schmetz.

This number does not cross reference with nor will it be found on any other manufacture of needles boxes or reference materials. For example, Groz-Becket does not in any way shape or form use CANU numbers.

CANU numbers consist of two groups of figures with two digits separated by a colon. This colon prevents confusion with other four digit system numbers. Within the CANUs the needle are classified according to thier length. A low CANU, for example 01:05, marks a short needle while a long needle has a high CANU as for instance 52:10

To simplify matters further, all needles differing only by the point shape have the same CANU. The point shape is marked by two capital letters behind the CANU. This is true for all point shapes with the exception of the normal round point which is not specially designated.

If you REALLY want to know all about CANU numbers, refer to Schmetz's book, "Guide to Sewing Techniques" that your local Schmetz dealer may be able to provide.

Edited by Gregg From Keystone Sewing

Hi Gregg,

If you are referring to CANU numbers (CAtalogue NUmbers), understand this is system of, ahem... 'Standardization', and is used exclusively by Schmetz.

This number does not cross reference with nor will it be found on any other manufacture of needles boxes or reference materials. For example, Groz-Becket does not in any way shape or form use CANU numbers.

That's extremely useful to know, thank you.

CANU numbers consist of two groups of figures with two digits separated by a colon. This colon prevents confusion with other four digit system numbers. Within the CANUs the needle are classified according to thier length. A low CANU, for example 01:05, marks a short needle while a long needle has a high CANU as for instance 52:10

Do you know if the numbers themselves mean anything, or what the number before and after the colon means?

If you REALLY want to know all about CANU numbers, refer to Schmetz's book, "Guide to Sewing Techniques" that your local Schmetz dealer may be able to provide.

I'll do that, thanks.

Is there somewhere to get the book or somewhere I can learn more about the Canu numbers. I'm a bit crazy when it comes to machine part sizing indexes. Unfortunately, I have that special kind of OCD that makes me unable to relax or sleep until I find out the reasoning or logic behind something like "sewing needle systems." I've got a job fixing sewing machines and today I needed to find a replacement for a needle that was smashed to bits. I took 2 hours of digging to make sure I didn't order a TVx1, DCx1, or DCx27 and get the wrong size. i finally pulled a parts schematic that luckily had it listed, but I hear there's a difference between these as they have different Canu but I don't see a place to buy or look through "Guide to Sewing Techniques." do you have an author or ISBN? I would love to know more. It seems everyone figures out what they need and get back to work while I'm still twiddling my thumbs and trying to figure out what these notations could possibly be in reference to. Thanks for the knowledge

Usually if you Google the canu # the Singer system # will come up along with the Japanese system of # & letters

Like 88x1,88x9(Singer),DAx1 (Japanese) or 4:45EB1 Schmtez which is more confusing since only Schmetz uses it.You can also go to Schmetz's website & search,but as long as you have either a Singer system or Japanese system for the machine you'll get the correct needle for the machine.I never use the canu # since they just add to more confusion.