Sign in to follow this  
Jarhead84

Velcro Problems

Hello, we are fairly new at this although we have been tooling around for several months now. We have made several of the Tandy SmartPhone cases, using our veg tanned 4-5 oz. My biggest problem is Velcro for the closure. We have already tried different brands , contact cement, etc. but have been unable to find one so far that sticks good to the leather even after letting it "set" for 24 hours. So my questions would be is there any really good way to fasten the velcro and not interfere with the tooling, would magnets work and not ruin the phone? So basically any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

After reading your post again I thought about sewing the velcro to a piece of lining leather and then glue that to.I assume,the flap and that should hold up without visible stitching.

I know this is an old thread.

I have used super glue to glue self stick Velcro to leather.

You can use magnets on smart phones. Need to experiment with placement versus the phone itself. Some phones such as blackberry use a magnet in the front and backside of the pouch to turn off the screen while the BB is in the pouch, and turn it back on when the BB is removed. It's in both front and back so the BB can face either direction. The magnetic reed switch is in the back side of the model I made a holder for. If you play with the phone and magnet, you'll find where the switch is.

Then keep the closure strap magnet away from the switch position if you don't want to trigger the switch.

The iPad has a switch on the right side when holding it in the portrait position with the home button bottom center.

Solid state memory used in these devices today is not sensitive to magnetic fields, so poses no problem around magnets.

CTG