8thsinner

Any Experience Braided Over Inorganic Materials?

I am wanting to try this in order to dramatically increase the native strength of a braided cord, be it bolo or otherwise. even something for demonstrating knots too.

I am hoping someone has done this and can point out any weaknesses in the style when used for tight knot work, such as friction burning and ripping the leather from the inside.

Or is it usually smooth enough on the inside to hold and grip well?

The only thing I have handy to try it with is 2mm spectra kite line with a very high breaking strain and no sleeve...

I want to try it with roo, but don't have any yet, so I will be using regular lace...

Thanks ever so much.

Here's the only negative I've seen on using rope for the core. See post# 8 from Lasse C.

http://igkt.net/sm/i...hp?topic=1728.0

Here's a link to braiding over "mountain climbing type" rope using lace from plastic kangaroos. LOL

http://pineapple.myf...l&highlight=dog

Rick

skyout

Edited by skyout

Well it's a good sign that it maybe can work, but my spectra is very smooth synthetic, so maybe I should wait until I get something with it's own sleeve which can compress it's own inner core more.

The plastic roos look fun, I wonder if you can get their scrotums for pouches too...lol

Thank you for the links I am not over in the PKF much these days

Don't know if I'm on the right track, but have used para cord as a core for years. In the "old days" I used it for core when square-knotting whistle lanyards, etc. Most recently I use it as core(s) in my braided dog leads. I've never had any trouble with making up the leads or having them rub through. If someone has a large dog and feels more comfortable with a thicker lead, I just add a couple more paras to the lead. Bet you could pull a semi with that one.

Don't know if I'm on the right track, but have used para cord as a core for years. In the "old days" I used it for core when square-knotting whistle lanyards, etc. Most recently I use it as core(s) in my braided dog leads. I've never had any trouble with making up the leads or having them rub through. If someone has a large dog and feels more comfortable with a thicker lead, I just add a couple more paras to the lead. Bet you could pull a semi with that one.

You are well and truely on the right track Spence , i take the center core out off the cord then plait away ,,, cord is tuff and the roo is even tuffer , no truck will stop that puppie !!!!

8th i have plenty of roo scrapes if you want to pay or postage ???

like a 150lt esky full !!!! but i will need the esky back to cool the beers mate . dunno.gif

Cheers

Bevo

psst ,

if ya worried about friction just use some good old plaiters soap , helps em pull up nice and tight

Edited by Bevan