Houlihan

Best Leather For Belts

Hello all,

I was wondering if I could get some opinions on the best brand, cut, weight, etc for making belts. Any input would be very helpfull

Thanks, Wes

For starting out, click on the supplier links at the top of the page - nearly all of them supply belt blanks. The blanks are typically veg-tan leather, though you might find some that offer water buffalo, bison, etc. If you're new to belts, the blanks are a great way to start because they come pre-cut, some have the snaps already installed, and most are skived for the buckle. If you have a Tandy near by, they also carry them.

If you're ordering a side and plan to cut the strips out, Herman Oak or Wicket and Craig are right at the top of the list for quality leather. I like my belts in the 8oz range, 1.5 inches. Dress belts would be a bit thinner, gun belts would be thicker. Plan on cutting your strips from the back, as the belly of the leather is sometimes a bit more stretchy.

For starting out, click on the supplier links at the top of the page - nearly all of them supply belt blanks. The blanks are typically veg-tan leather, though you might find some that offer water buffalo, bison, etc. If you're new to belts, the blanks are a great way to start because they come pre-cut, some have the snaps already installed, and most are skived for the buckle. If you have a Tandy near by, they also carry them.

If you're ordering a side and plan to cut the strips out, Herman Oak or Wicket and Craig are right at the top of the list for quality leather. I like my belts in the 8oz range, 1.5 inches. Dress belts would be a bit thinner, gun belts would be thicker. Plan on cutting your strips from the back, as the belly of the leather is sometimes a bit more stretchy.

I would go with Hermann Oak over Wicket and Craig. I got my first shipment of Hermann Oak today and it is heads and shoulders better for cutting belts and making holsters over the Wicket and Craig leather. My last order from Wicket and Craig was horrendous. Giant holes in the back, lots of holes, lots of scars, just nasty stuff. The imports and Tandy look better than this, I guess Tandy knows you get to look at their leather to buy it.

Next time I place an order with Weaver I think I am going to try some of the Chahin Leather, they offer some unique options like Double Backs, which should make a ton of belts with little waste.

I would go with Hermann Oak over Wicket and Craig. I got my first shipment of Hermann Oak today and it is heads and shoulders better for cutting belts and making holsters over the Wicket and Craig leather. My last order from Wicket and Craig was horrendous. Giant holes in the back, lots of holes, lots of scars, just nasty stuff. The imports and Tandy look better than this, I guess Tandy knows you get to look at their leather to buy it.

Next time I place an order with Weaver I think I am going to try some of the Chahin Leather, they offer some unique options like Double Backs, which should make a ton of belts with little waste.

That is a very odd statement. Wickett and craig and herman oak are about neck and neck as far as quality and what not. Both are way better then anything Ive gotten from or scene at tandy. Are you sure you didnt mix up your leathers? Also why didnt you get ahold of WandC if the leather was that bad?

That is a very odd statement. Wickett and craig and herman oak are about neck and neck as far as quality and what not. Both are way better then anything Ive gotten from or scene at tandy. Are you sure you didnt mix up your leathers? Also why didnt you get ahold of WandC if the leather was that bad?

I am quite sure it was Wickett and Craig, I got it direct. I was told the leather would have a usable back and could have defects in the bellies. The leather portions with out defects was fine. The good parts where quite good, it was just full of bad parts. It looks like I can get 50% more product out of the Hermann oak sides and the cost was the same. I have never purchased leather from Tandy, Just looked. They want too much money for anything that looks decent. I could buy Grade A Hermann Oak Bends for the price of a decent Tandy Hide, but the decent hides at Tandy look better than what W&C sent.

I am quite sure it was Wickett and Craig, I got it direct. I was told the leather would have a usable back and could have defects in the bellies. The leather portions with out defects was fine. The good parts where quite good, it was just full of bad parts. It looks like I can get 50% more product out of the Hermann oak sides and the cost was the same. I have never purchased leather from Tandy, Just looked. They want too much money for anything that looks decent. I could buy Grade A Hermann Oak Bends for the price of a decent Tandy Hide, but the decent hides at Tandy look better than what W&C sent.

Did you happen to order from their overstock hides? Alot of times, they will have the holes and scars. Normally, their first run hides are pretty nice.

You should had called them about the hide you received, they try to make things right.

I wanted to try bother tanneries anyway, I stand behind that Hermann Oak was head and shoulders better than W&C. I was told the backs would be good to the pockets, and it could have defects below that. They were not marked with a grade, they were an overstock but not the special grade, it was the middle grade. What I got from Hermann Oak was tannery run without any D's, and all hides where better than the W&C. The worst HO was better than the best W&C. I did get 4 hides from W&C and two where decent, all 4 will be profitable if I do my part, but two are just nasty and its not worth it to me to go with W&C in the future, Especially for belts. I just know from now on I will get Hermann Oak leather if I have the option.

That makes sense, just serprised at the quality you recieved. Ofcourse I have had to get my HO from other places besides them but the quality was still good for the most part. Too bad I dont have room or money to order the amount of hides I would have to get from them to cover my different uses.

Back to the OP's question it would depend on style of belt you are making and personal preference, durability, and everything else. If your going to be tooling the belts then vegtan. Personally I would go with a back or depending on if you have other projects you can use the side for get sides and use the top portion for belts then the lower portion for your other projects. Double coolattas or whatever they are called are nice as well.

If you are not tooling and want a nice durable belt that you dont have to dye then look at things like english bridel,latigo, harness leather. Again you would have to get some samples to see if it is where you want to go. Most tanneries will give ya some swaths to show you the leather.

thanks for the input , I was just trying to find out about different qualitys of leather and then what cut would be best for belts if it was a double shoulder or a side. I do full tooling on the belts so I want use good leather. Sonds like hermen oak is the best.

Thanks