Wizcrafts

Use Email Address Obfuscation For Your Security

Friends, whenever and wherever you post information on a Forum, or social networking site, do not type your email address into a post in the normal mail-to format. If you do, email harvester bots will capture it and add it to a master spam database, and sell it to spammers. You will soon be spammed and scammed to death.

It is much safer (but not 100%) to let other members contact you through links provided in your members only profile, or the PM (Private Message) button that appears under your Avatar, if you allow PMs in your account settings. If you feel you must publish a contact email address in plain view, obfuscate it (make is un-obvious) by separating the prefix from the @ and the suffix from the . whatever domain extension.

Examples:

Instead of typing the usual format: your-account@example.com

use "your-account AT example DOT com" or "your-account at example-dot-net" or "your-account^example-com" or something else humans can understand and can copy and fix when they want to contact you, but bots won't make sense of. Be creative. We have smarts.

You can also create an image in a graphics editor, with your email address, and upload it here as an included img tag set.

Apparently, some members falsely believe that since one must be a member to post or reply, that only members can read posts. This is simply not true. Anybody, anywhere can read the text on our posts. But, images and contact buttons are only displayed to logged in members.

Edited by Wizcrafts

Good looking out Wiz, but your too late! :censored2:

Good looking out Wiz, but your too late! :censored2:

I posted this after reading what our new member went through after making this mistake.

Actually, computer and website security are my main pastimes and online pursuits.

Anybody interested in keeping up with computer and website security is invited to bookmark Wiz's Computer and Website Security Blog

I also make frequent security announcements on my Facebook and Twitter profiles.

Hi Wiz,

I have learned a new word to day, Obfuscation. Great, Thanks.

I been trying to tell folks the same too, but I did not have a name for it. Now I have.

Somebody always answer to late, the damages is done.

To you all;

Limit the damages, remove it. Otherwise, the many more spammers will get your email and the risk of ID theft or virus is much greater. You can trust Wiz with that security repair, but avoid websites and add that offers the same. They actually install viruses and stuff in your computer instead of removing them

Some people is calling claim they are from Microsoft and will help you remove viruses, directing you in to their website. Be aware it is a fraud, Microsoft will never do that. They fooled my mother, we had to reinstall everything on her machine, change all passwords, codes and creditcard.

Trox

I posted this after reading what our new member went through after making this mistake.

Actually, computer and website security are my main pastimes and online pursuits.

Anybody interested in keeping up with computer and website security is invited to bookmark Wiz's Computer and Website Security Blog

I also make frequent security announcements on my Facebook and Twitter profiles.