Harpo84

Cutting Slots For Belts - Crew Punches?

Last night I attached my first buckle :)

The material I'm working with is a triple layer of 2oz pigskin.

I don't have a crew / bag / slot punch so I started off by punching a 2.5mm hole at each end of the slot... all going well... I then tried to join the holes with my clicker knife but the soft leather just squashed down and moved around. It was a nightmare. I eventually got the slot at a fairly uniform width and it looks and works well but on close inspection the inside edges of the slot are very ragged and it took far longer to do than it should!

So I thought: time to buy a crew punch but man are they expensive! Especially for a set.

Does anyone have experience with using a single small crew punch to punch out slots of various lengths and widths? Does it work? Or any other tips on making slots less of a headache without shelling out on a full set of crew punches?

I punch a hole top and bottom then cut two lines to join the holes with an exacto knife.

Cut from each hole towards the center or you risk cutting past the hole.

Does anyone have experience with using a single small crew punch to punch out slots of various lengths and widths? Does it work? Or any other tips on making slots less of a headache without shelling out on a full set of crew punches?

You can use a crew punch and overlap end to end and it works OK. It doesn't work as well to make a wider slot for me. Because of the taper it is hard to get them even and the ends are ragged without some cleanup.

Last night I attached my first buckle :)

The material I'm working with is a triple layer of 2oz pigskin.

I don't have a crew / bag / slot punch so I started off by punching a 2.5mm hole at each end of the slot... all going well... I then tried to join the holes with my clicker knife but the soft leather just squashed down and moved around. It was a nightmare. I eventually got the slot at a fairly uniform width and it looks and works well but on close inspection the inside edges of the slot are very ragged and it took far longer to do than it should!

So I thought: time to buy a crew punch but man are they expensive! Especially for a set.

From the old grump, FWIW; Punch the two holes as you have described. Pick up a set of cheap Chinese wood chisels at Harbor Freight (sharpen them) Us the one of appropriate width to connect the outer edges of the holes. Allign the chisel and schmuck it with an appropriate (or just handy) hammer, mallet, meat tenderizer, etc. Mike

Just started doing the same thing here! - with the same cheep chisels ;0) Works much better :)

I use oblong punches when the sizes I have work for the application. The rest of the time I do as the above few have mentioned with the round punches connected with appropriate chisel.

One thing I'd suggest is rotating the chisel or project after each cut keeping the cutting face of the chisel to the outside of the hole you are punching.

Kevin