particle

Do I Really Need A Long Arm?

I currently sew holsters and belts, but have always wanted to add journal covers and messenger bags. I have really only made one bag that was fairly small. I started making a 17" laptop bag, but got carried away with 12 internal pockets, didn't use thin-enough leather (almost impossible to sew the gusset to the front/back panels) and just ended up with an expensive learning lesson that went in the scrap bin. I did it all with the Tippmann Boss, but it was very difficult and sewing the 12 interior pockets onto the back panel was a real challenge (borderline impossible) with the Boss and I doubt I would ever do it like that again.

So, someone is offering me a Ferdco 1010 for what I believe is a good price, but it's only a 9" throat. Will I be limited in any way with bags by a 9" throat? Do I really need a long-arm machine for what I plan to sew?

Anyone have anything bad to say about the Ferdco 1010?

Rersonaly i would get the longer arm ( 16 inch ) machine. You will be glad you did down the road, plus their not that much more. I have had mine close to 20 years and the extra space sure is handy.

Okay, so the specifications on the Ferdco site are inaccurate and the Ferdco 1010 is a 16" throat. It's not a needle feed, but it does have a walking foot. I just placed a deposit on the machine. Am I going to miss the needle feed....?

I don't know anything about the 1010 machine. What i have is the Pro 2000 one of the older ones that started life as a Juki i guess. Has Juki wrote on it several places. I'm not sure what type of feed it has but it works really well. Particle i would call Ferdco if you haven't and ask them what they think. They have always been super help full anytime i called.

The only other person i have any dealings with as far as sewing machines on here is Bob from Toledo Sewing Machine and he was super help full to.

Here's what the plate looks like on my machine.

post-11301-094698200 1331664501_thumb.jp

The way you should look at it is: What reasons do I have for getting a small arm machine, and with the 1010, why do I need a machine without needle feed. With all the seems you climb over doing bags, I can't see why you would NOT get needle feed on a machine that will do all around service. I can see it for a machine that just does one thing and doesn't need needle feed or a long arm, but for the little bit extra, get the most you can. If you want to try and then get accustomed to using a bag or holster plate, then you HAVE to have needle feed, those don't work without it.

Art

Okay, so the specifications on the Ferdco site are inaccurate and the Ferdco 1010 is a 16" throat. It's not a needle feed, but it does have a walking foot. I just placed a deposit on the machine. Am I going to miss the needle feed....?

Thanks Dirtclod. I believe your machine has a different (better) feed mechanism. Thanks for the photo!

Thanks Art - I agree - I really don't want a 9" throat. Ferdco's specifications on their site are incorrect and got me all excited!!! Guess I will hold out for a better machine with a needle feed. I really don't want a bunch of teeth marks in my leather!

Particle,

His machine is set up for harness (but it works on everything). It uses ONLY the needle feed, there is just a slot in the needle plate, the feed dogs have been replaced with a needle guide.

Art

Thanks Dirtclod. I believe your machine has a different (better) feed mechanism. Thanks for the photo!

Art,

Are these machines, like "dirtclod's" , configured so you can use feed dogs with them?

ferg

Dirtclod,

His machine is set up for harness (but it works on everything). It uses ONLY the needle feed, there is just a slot in the needle plate, the feed dogs have been replaced with a needle guide.

Art

Ferg,

They can use a feed dog, you just put it in, screw it down, and change the needle plate which has a feed dog hole instead of a slot.

Art

Art,

Are these machines, like "dirtclod's" , configured so you can use feed dogs with them?

ferg

I just coped this off of Ferdco's website and says they have the 1010 with a 9 inch and 16 inch arm.

New Ferdco Heavy Duty Sewing Machines

Specifications for Pro 1010

Walking foot and Bottom Feed

Presser foot Lift - 3/4"

Sews 5/8" thick leather

16" Work Space

Heavy Duty Cylinder Arm

Needle System - 794 S Serv-1

Forward & Reverse Stitching

Thread sizes from 69 to 415

Economical & Affordable

Hi,

Listen to Art; what he ment was upper and needle feed. That is what you have left with that kind of needle plate. (Triple feed is; bottom, upper and needle feed)

I would not buy that kind of machine, like the Ferco 1010. It is true it is economical, It is the cheapest kind of heavy stitcher made in China. Nothing wrong about Ferco, this machines comes under many different brands. It is a older model machine on its way out. Not many offer them anymore, the ones that does offer it as a economical solution. You must buy a machine with triple feed, You can buy a 441 clone 16 inch arm triple feed from Cobra, Cowboy or Techsew for plus 2K $. That is similar to the Ferco Pro 2000, and does the same job.Techsew sold that 1010 model before as model 180 something, they changed it with the new 441 clone (T-5100) The 441 clone from one of our dealers is a much better sewing machine, even in a nine inch verson. They are set up to sew leather up to 7/8 of an inch and comes with all kinds of attachments a saddler needs.

Trox

What they said. I got a Hightex/Cowboy 7441 a while ago. One of the primary aims I have for the machine is bag work and there's no way I'd go without the triple feed. There's too much flexibility in what you can do with it with minor reconfiguration that you just can't do with only walking feet and no needle feed.

I got all the optional plates and feet with mine, and the really useful ones for bag work require the needle feed to work because you're not using the lower feed dog, just a needle guide like Art says.