tmroper

homemade leather splitter

I am trying to build a homemade leather splitter and just wondered if any of you guys have any good ideas and or would be willing to post pics of what you are using. I have a saddle shop and use the tandy version of the osborne splitter which works great but it does not go thin enough for the rawhide work.

Thanks

Sure it does, that is what I am using. The Hansen string cutter comes with a splitter but I end up using both the Hansen and the Tandy splitters. Keep you blade sharp and split a little at a time and remember you should not be splitting much more than the thinnest part! If the hide ranges from 2 oz to 6 oz the thinnest you will split down to is 2 oz., or you compromise the integrity of the string.

Vaya con Dios, Alan Bell

Thanks for the reply Allen,

Iwould still love to see pics of any homemade splitters

tmroper

I use a osborne model 84. I've found that my blade needs to be sharp and the rawhide needs to be cased just right. I can then split my strings as thin as I want. I split some cow down yesterday paper thin. I will admit I've cut my share of strings in two and still do if I don't let the moisture get right. I'm sorry I don't have any pictures of a homemade splitter. But somewhere on the forum there was a topic on a homemade splitter I'm just not sure where. Maybe try that search thingy they got on here. Good luck!

Mike

Found this on you tube:

The video is in two parts, this is part 1. It's simple, but seems to work for him.

SkipJ

Found this on you tube:

The video is in two parts, this is part 1. It's simple, but seems to work for him.

SkipJ

Hey Cool,

That's my video! Thanks. I actually found an really easy way to do it without any tools at. I'll take some pictures and post it soon.