rawhide1

Goerge Rios Saddle Picstures

I thought I'd post some pictures(ok a lot) of the saddle I bought off of ebay. Some I double posted one had a flash and the other dont. Wasn't sure which showed better. I was also wondering if there was some way I could take the letters of the persons name off of the silver piece or should I just leave it alone. Also there's a silver plate that says first saddle made by George Rios at Bobs western world. Do ya reckon that's true or just something they stuck on there. Can I clean the silver with silver cleaner or will it damage it.

Thanks, Mike

IMG_1437.JPGIMG_1451.JPGIMG_1448.JPGIMG_1442.JPG

IMG_1444.JPGIMG_1441.JPGIMG_1440.JPGIMG_1441.JPG

IMG_1449.JPGIMG_1447.JPGIMG_1438.JPG

IMG_1439.JPG

post-4953-126663878887_thumb.jpg

post-4953-126663882282_thumb.jpg

post-4953-12666388533_thumb.jpg

post-4953-126663889569_thumb.jpg

post-4953-126663892418_thumb.jpg

post-4953-126663894389_thumb.jpg

post-4953-12666389936_thumb.jpg

post-4953-126663901649_thumb.jpg

post-4953-126663903389_thumb.jpg

post-4953-126663906766_thumb.jpg

post-4953-126663909357_thumb.jpg

Edited by rawhide1

HI Mike;;

Sounds as if this is the first saddle george built while working at bob's western world and made it for a person named KIM....WOW ....from looking at the photo's, it's realy nice.. and could have added value due to tags....Doc...

Hi Mike............kewl saddle. We have one in our little collection from the same era, made at Broken Horn. I believe that a good silversmith could change out the letters on the cantle plate. I am fairly sure that this silver is sterling electroplate, and could be cleaned up with any good silver polish. I hope your daughter enjoys the saddle. JW

For the time it would take a silversmith to get those letters off and engrave that area, they might be able to make a new plate with your daughter's name or initials. Might be a something for the next birthday or event in her life.

The style and timing are right for this to be the first saddle George made for Bobs. The silver would be sterling overlay, not electroplate. The initials are jewelers bronze. Bruce is correct that it probably would be more cost effective to replace the entire name plate. Diablo silver would have a perfect match. You got a great saddle at an extremely great value!

Keith

I want to Thank everyone for their replies and help. I tried to google Bobs western world and came up with a zero. Does anyone know if their still in business. I found a #379012 under the jockey and fender I do apologize for all the questions but it seems that when I have something I feel the need to know everything there is to know about that item.

Thanks again, Mike

I just used (bing) and found him;; check it out ;;lot'a info'' ...Doc... <BR><BR>             ( George rios saddles)

Edited by terrahyd

terrahyd

Thanks for telling me to use bing. I did find him and a phone # which was great. I called and talked to Mr. Rios he thought he made this saddle around 1979. He new what saddle I was talking about it seems a lady had sent him a picture of it trying to sell it. He said he offered her $1,500 and she wouldn't take it. He sure was suprised when I told him what I paid and that I bought it off of ebay and I'm pretty sure a pawnshop was the seller. Besides the info. Mr. Rios was a nice fella to talk to.

I want to Thank everyone again for their help and knowledge.

Mike