Sign in to follow this  
akozicki

Sewing A Baseball Glove With Techsew 2700

Im looking at the 2700 Techsew model and was wondering what other people thought about this machine. The leather Im going to use it 5/6 oz. usually two pieces but sometimes up to three pieces. I'm new to the sewing game but plan on teaching myself enough to start my own business.

http://shop.raphaelsewing.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=30_32&products_id=289

Alec

Im looking at the 2700 Techsew model and was wondering what other people thought about this machine. The leather Im going to use it 5/6 oz. usually two pieces but sometimes up to three pieces. I'm new to the sewing game but plan on teaching myself enough to start my own business.

http://shop.raphaels...products_id=289

Alec

I don't know anything about sewing baseball gloves but I have a 2700 and love it. It will sew 3/8" thick at slow speeds pretty easily. I've maxed mine out a few times (thickness and turning radius) making backpacks and backrest pads but it has done what I asked of it without complaint. The only thing I miss with the 2700 versus a similar size flatbed machine is the availability of presser feet. Here's a couple of things sewn on my 2700 as examples:

Hornback section of a gator tail + 6oz veg-tan:

post-10543-089254000 1332886487_thumb.jp

3/4oz garment cowhide & lamb stacked 5 thick at some points:

post-10543-037642600 1332886559_thumb.jp

Stingray + 6oz veg-tan for the bib, 3/4oz lamb and 4/5oz buffalo + stingray for the backrest pad:

post-10543-097505800 1332886709_thumb.jp

How did you sew the gusset for the backrest pad?

Andrew

very carefully. ;)

The front side is a simple sew the seam and then top stitch to one side so it will lay flat. The back side is just a seam stitch and then trimmed closely so it will lay down as much as possible.

The front side was sewn first and then the back side, done inside out and once sewn the piece was turned right side out. The advantage of oil tanned buffalo and other leathers is they are very flexible and don't wrinkle much if at all when done this way.

veg-tan would wrinkle like crazy if folded over on itself 180 degrees.

Here's another shot of the gusset with the stealthy zipper (the one on the left is the one I did, the right is the OEM pleather cover):

post-10543-091840100 1332902736_thumb.jp

I don't know anything about sewing baseball gloves but I have a 2700 and love it. It will sew 3/8" thick at slow speeds pretty easily. I've maxed mine out a few times (thickness and turning radius) making backpacks and backrest pads but it has done what I asked of it without complaint. The only thing I miss with the 2700 versus a similar size flatbed machine is the availability of presser feet. Here's a couple of things sewn on my 2700 as examples:

Thanks for you're input. It seems like it will be a good machine for me and I like your final products that were made with this machine.

very carefully. ;)

The front side is a simple sew the seam and then top stitch to one side so it will lay flat. The back side is just a seam stitch and then trimmed closely so it will lay down as much as possible.

The front side was sewn first and then the back side, done inside out and once sewn the piece was turned right side out. The advantage of oil tanned buffalo and other leathers is they are very flexible and don't wrinkle much if at all when done this way.

veg-tan would wrinkle like crazy if folded over on itself 180 degrees.

Here's another shot of the gusset with the stealthy zipper (the one on the left is the one I did, the right is the OEM pleather cover):

post-10543-091840100 1332902736_thumb.jp

Hm...but it looks like the bag on the rightt has the front and the back gusset seams top stitched cause they both look like they lay flat. That's what I don't understand how to do. I would understand if only one side had this but once you put the second side on, how would you get the lay down stitch in there? Hope I'm making sense here.

Andrew

Sorry. Missed the part about the one on the right being the OEM one. I guess I wonder how they do that stitch.

Andrew

Hm...but it looks like the bag on the rightt has the front and the back gusset seams top stitched cause they both look like they lay flat. That's what I don't understand how to do. I would understand if only one side had this but once you put the second side on, how would you get the lay down stitch in there? Hope I'm making sense here.

Andrew

Sorry. Missed the part about the one on the right being the OEM one. I guess I wonder how they do that stitch.

Andrew

It likely done on a post bed machine, the lay down stitch would be on the side of the gusset for the second side sewn or like the OEM cover, the laydown stitch for both front and back is on the gusset.

A cylinder bed can't do the laydown for both pieces like that and a flat bed couldn't either...at least that I know of.

The zipper on the bottom is what makes it possible. Once you have the seam stitches in, simply open the zipper and sew the top stitch down through the opening (with a post bed as mentioned)

Thanks for you're input. It seems like it will be a good machine for me and I like your final products that were made with this machine.

Not a problem, Ron is a good guy to deal with too. Good luck with it.

FYI - call Ron to place the order instead of doing it via ebay or the website so he can make sure any extras like edge guides can be added without extra shipping costs.

Ok I'll make sure too. I think I actually spoke to Ron yesterday when I called them he was a lot of help.