Hey guys I'm having some issues with weld wood, seems to not really be sticking. Its more like super tacky but I can still pull apart the leather I'm gluing. I'm wondering if I have an old batch by chance, does everyone's can say copyright 2006? I'm worried I got a bad batch from Ace hardware. Thanks.

Need a little more info that what we've got so far.

Is it kinda thick, or pretty thin and runny?.................it should be pretty thin.

Are you applying to both pieces to be glued and allowing to set up before sticking together?.......................I haven't had any issues when I follow the directions.

Is one or both of the pieces (presuming leather) 'stringy'?.................if so, you might need to shave off the stringy part to get a good bond.

Are both pieces dry?

Are you pulling it apart at the glue, or are you pulling off a layer of leather? (can happen with really stringy backs)

Finally, my oldest one is labeled 2009, so depending on what type container you have, you may have some that's gone bad. The plastic jars tend to let the solvent escape, while the metal cans keep it very fresh. I bought the quart can and refill to the bottle for immediate use.

Yea I'm pretty sure I'm doing it right. I'm applying to both sides, two coats and allowing 30min setup time in-between. It sounds like I may have gotten a bad can. I think I'm going to take it back tomorrow and see if I can get some new stuff.

Same thing happening here for me too. I think they changed the formula, even the "original"

It's become too "touchy". There's a certain amount of glue to use, and a certain exact time to allow for drying. I'm gonna switch.

Hey guys I'm having some issues with weld wood, seems to not really be sticking. Its more like super tacky but I can still pull apart the leather I'm gluing. I'm wondering if I have an old batch by chance, does everyone's can say copyright 2006? I'm worried I got a bad batch from Ace hardware. Thanks.

Hey, Toasty, . . . been using this stuff for something near 30 years, . . . and I'm not having any new issues.

1st: make sure you have good stuff, . . . if it is gooey at all, . . . not runny, . . . pitch it.

2nd: when you use it, . . . make sure to put the lid back on, . . . tight, . . . also if you use a lot of it, . . . buy a quart, pour it into a half pint container, use out of the half pint, . . . it'll stay better longer that way.

3rd: there is no canned time limit on how long it should take to dry. Temperature, humidity, product, . . . all have an effect on IF it is ready yet. The very best test is to pat the piece with a piece of newspaper. If it don't stick AT ALL, . . . AT ALL, . . . then you are ready to use it.

4th: if you have a heat gun, . . . you can use it in a VERY WELL VENTILATED area on smaller pieces, . . . less than 2 square feet is my rule, . . . to hasten the drying process. Laying the piece, glue side up, in a window where the sun can hit it will also work to dry it quicker.

5th: even when it is done perfectly, . . . enough force, . . . will pull it apart.

It has been my experience that it takes quite a while for the process to fully bond, . . . permanently, . . . but letting it dry correctly is 95% of getting it right. Also if you are doing belts or anything you can get a rolling pin onto, . . . do that, . . . roll it with a rolling pin, . . . and put some force onto it. I also use a very flat faced hammer to put my holster edges together, . . . or a wallpaper seam roller. Just sticking them face to face is not enough to complete whatever the chemical process is that happens there, . . . need to add a bit of force.

Anyway, may God bless,

Dwight

Thanks everyone I took back the can to Tags and unfortunately found out their entire stock was expired. So instead I bought some barge glue. I know there's been talk about the new formula not being as good as the old stuff but I thought I'd get it a shot since I like that it came in a tube.

So far seems to work pretty well, definately much more "stringy" than the weld wood stuff its hard to spread without it being messy. Anyone have any tips? Also how long does it take to fully cure/stick? Thanks.