leatheroo

Pfaff Feed Dog Position Adjustment Help!

Hi all, i have a pfaff 335 cylinder arm machine that i have had for a while. When i got it second hand it was set up for binding. I took those bits off and just used it for regular sewing. I finally got around to getting a new needle plate and feed dog. However when i fit the new feed dog it is not aligning with the needle. It is only about 1 or 2 mm out . Is there some way of adjusting this??? Otherwise i was thinking of filing a bigger hole.

thanks for any help given!!

cheers

caroline

feed-dog.jpg

Caroline.

I have a 335 as well which has been converted from a binding machine to a normal walking foot.

When I saw your request I had a look at mine and the feed dog only has a small enough hole for the needle not a slot. It seems to move in the same timing sequence as the needle, meaning when the needle moves into the dog, the dog travels at the same speed and alignment, until the needle comes out. The dog follows the needle all the way back. The dog should be timed to move forward and back with the needle.

Make sense ???

Cheers

Trevor

"Way Down Under"

Hi trevor....thanks for your reply...but that is not the problem...the needle is to the right of the hole!!! the feed dog needs to move to the right so the needle will go down the hole, but there is no room for adjustment that i can see.

cheers

Hi Caroline,

Look at your picture, to the right of the feed dog is a hole figure as an 8. It should be two screws there, where are those. Did you forget to put them back in again? Those two screw adjust the feed dog to the left and right. To adjust the feed dog in the lengthwise position, you must do that on the underneth the arm. You must attach the needle plate to see if is in the center of the hole. If the feed dog is adjusted to be in the center of the needle plate and the needle still misses the middle of the hole, you must adjust the position needle bar (the rod with the needle in). This is done by removing the front plate of the head, it is adjustable in all direction. It is all in the manual, and it is not very difficult. ( It does not matter if it is the same model 335, it is pretty much the same on all machines)

I do not have the the same Pfaff as you ( I have a Pfaff 545 cylinder arm, binder feed machine) but I do have the adjustment manual for the Pfaff 335 on Pdf. You can adjust the position of the feed dog without timing the feed of the machine. Give me your email in this format ; name att domain dot com (this format to avoid spam :poster_spam: ) . Or send it to me in an PM true my profile, and I will mail you the manual; 796 kb size of seven pages.

I hope this helps.

trox

Hi all, i have a pfaff 335 cylinder arm machine that i have had for a while. When i got it second hand it was set up for binding. I took those bits off and just used it for regular sewing. I finally got around to getting a new needle plate and feed dog. However when i fit the new feed dog it is not aligning with the needle. It is only about 1 or 2 mm out . Is there some way of adjusting this??? Otherwise i was thinking of filing a bigger hole.

thanks for any help given!!

cheers

caroline

feed-dog.jpg

HI trox...yes, i have the screws for the figure 8, but just didnt put them in for the pic......i cannot move the new feed dog any more to the right!!!!! it needs to move about 2mm more to the right!! If i adjust the needle bar, that is move it to the left , wouldnt i also then have to adjust the bobbin position as well??

caroline

Edited by leatheroo

HI trox...yes, i have the screws for the figure 8, but just didnt put them in for the pic......i cannot move the new feed dog any more to the right!!!!! it needs to move about 2mm more to the right!! If i adjust the needle bar, that is move it to the left , wouldnt i also then have to adjust the bobbin position as well??

caroline

You have to control everything. It starts by putting in a new needle (your needle might be bent); the type and size described in the manual. The distance from the bobbin hook tip to the needle is set to 0, 05 to 0, 1 mm with the needle size/type it should be adjusted with. The new feed dog, is that an original Pfaff spare part, or an aftermarket part?

The adjustment of the machine is started with the feed dog, set the stitch regulator in position zero. The clearance around the feed dog (in the needle plates feed dog hole) should be the same all around the f. dog.

The difference between the normal 335 triple feed and the binding 335 is the feed dog’s motion, the binding machine do not have the feed motion (up and down motion). I have adjusted my feed dog height flush with the needle plate. It only moves back and forth, if it is over the plate, it will disturb the material feeding. With this kind of binding feed machine, you will just get the top and needle feed, not any bottom feed.

When you buy a feed dog, it normally comes with a needle plate. Start checking if the dog is in the center of the plate, adjust it to be. Then you must adjust the height, and see if it moves with the needle. You must check the distance needle hook tip (0,05 - 0.5 mm) check the timing of the hook needle ( with a new needle/ right size) You must take of the presser feet’s before you adjust the feed dog, replace the feet’s and adjust their position according to the manual. If the feed dog and plate are aftermarket parts and very different from the original parts.

In addition, you also planning to change it all back to a binding machine when needed, you must consider modifying it. This way you do not need all the adjustments when changing plate and feed dog. (If you need to modify the feed dog, this is done by removing some of its material on the left and right side. So it fits in the center of the plate. You normally should be able to adjust it to the needle, put the plate on and check)

Start with downloading the manual, read it and check if your machine is the same as the one in the manual. If it is something you do not understand, feel free to ask me. However, it all starts with reading the manual.

Good luck.

Trox

Thanks trox.....Trevor kindly emailed me the adjustment manual....i think all those adjustments may be beyond me!!!! I might have a go at it, but i can see myself ending up with a machine that won't sew!!! lol I think i may call my sewing mechanic....he comes to the house and only charges about $40 for visit. I thought when i bought the new dog and needle plate that it would be a two minute job to just pop them in...... thanks for taking the time to explain in detail the procedure. I think these machines are more complicated than my car!!! Now i know why they cost so much!!

cheers and thanks again

caroline

Not really, you just have to take some time to understand how it all works. Here in Norway it is 200$ an hour plus the meet up fee, you just have to do it your self. I love everything mechanical, but with a 40 $ fee, you maybe should spend your time doing what you do best instead. The machines are not that complicated, but understanding an adjustment manual the first time can be a challenge. They are made for the trained mechanics; some of the German technical language is also badly translated to English. The must challenging thing with the Pfaff`s is the spare part prices, a binding needle plate for my 345 cost 955 $ (USD) here in Norway.

I told you I had a 545, I lied it is a 345-H3-6C-LN (with that same binding feed as yours) It has a bigger cylinder arm and a vertical hook. However, the rest is the same as the 335. When I bought it not long ago it came with a normal needle plate, I am setting it up as a binding machine. Many thanks to my friend the Leather Guru, who provided me with most of the binding parts for free (who all cost about 1950 $ with Pfaff). I am still missing the most expensive part the binding needle plate, but I can modify a standard one if I have to. That is why I asked you what you paid for the plate? I have a hard time finding an aftermarket one for mine.

Trox

Thanks trox.....Trevor kindly emailed me the adjustment manual....i think all those adjustments may be beyond me!!!! I might have a go at it, but i can see myself ending up with a machine that won't sew!!! lol I think i may call my sewing mechanic....he comes to the house and only charges about $40 for visit. I thought when i bought the new dog and needle plate that it would be a two minute job to just pop them in...... thanks for taking the time to explain in detail the procedure. I think these machines are more complicated than my car!!! Now i know why they cost so much!!

cheers and thanks again

caroline

Hi! Merry Christmas and happy New Year for all!

I've bought Pfaff 335-H3 17/04 BL (old gray model - like at the picture)

It has some trubbles, needs to adjust needle frame (too close forvard, needle in longest stitches shuts the bobbin),and I'm looking for service manual for it.

Please, help! My email: sergei At shoemasters dot org

Does anyone know what meens H3 and 17/04 BL in the model mark?

post-48302-0-70377100-1388757803_thumb.j

Edited by svsek

Hi Svsek, i will email you all the manuals i have. There may be some slight differences in models, but the basics are the same.

As for my needle hole problem....i went the easy way.....my brother just drilled the hole so it was bigger.

Hi leatheroo!

The hole is already 4 mm, the feed dog I adjusted by 2 screws as i can, nevertheless needle too close and on some materials shuts at front edge of hole.

Whether your 335 have a little loose on the shaft of the hook?

And on the feed dog frame is a small gap?

There are new gears, but not always tight contact, and i wonder do i need tighten them to each other or not?

Your manuals I've got, thanks, and they are for the new model of PFAFF 335. The needle frame in old 335 differs, the position of it quite other. there are similarities but I'm afraid all the same :-)) as I'm inexperienced in mechanics

Edited by svsek

caroline

Sorry to join late in this conversation. I just bought my binding set for 335 and the picture in the post is not a not the right part. I installed my feed dog wth no problem at all. No certain adjustment . All you need is to install the 2 screws . I dont see any way of adjustment .

feed dog picture attached.post-33165-0-51177200-1404265232_thumb.j

post-33165-0-36400700-1404265136_thumb.j