I'm new to Leatherworker.net, and I am curious if anyone here knows about Viscol. I used to work at a saddle shop that made a lot of trophy and show saddles and the owner (now deceased) swore by the stuff. We used straight Viscol to "oil" saddles, tack, and other items that we did not want to be darkened, and we mixed it 50-50 with neatsfoot oil for most other oiling applications. The straight Viscol did not darken the leather at all once it soaked in and dried, and the mixture produced a nice golden hue. I'm getting back into the leather business and I plan to order some Viscol, so I looked it up on the Internet. It is made by DYO Chemical, Inc. Here is how their online catalog describes it:

Triple Action Viscol: DYO Triple Action Viscol is a silicone waterproofing agent. Triple Action Viscol oils, waterproofs, and preserves leather as well as extending its life and durability. It is recommended for hunting garments & accessories or any leather goods that are often exposed to natures elements.

Application: Manual

Here is a link to their website: http://www.dyo.com/leather_catalog.html It looks like they also offer a full line of dyes, finishes, etc. which I have not tried.

:whatdoyouthink: - Jim

I would very interested to hear more. Thanks for posting.

Welcome to the board. I hope to see some of your projects soon.

Thanks for the link. Personally, I would never use a silicone product on any of my projects. I'm sure there is all kinds of science involved, but for me, it just don't seem right.

Dyo is no longer in business. Their plant exploded , and remaining products, patents, formulas, etc. were bought out by LCI Inc.

http://www.leathercoatings.com/index.html

Give them a call. You'll need to set up a business account with them and make minimum orders of $100 at a time. If you're not willing to buy a minimum of 50 gallons a year, don't ask Carlos too many questions, as he is busy with much more lucrative clients.

The other option is to find out who is reselling LCI's products.

ed

Jim,

Welcome and thanks for the info and the previous experience. I have heard of guys using silicone oil for saddles, especially about 10 years or so ago when the anemic looking light saddles were the show saddle fad. The formulas back then ranged from straight silicon to silicon and olive oil. At the least Feibings and I think some others make a saddle oil with silicon/lanolin. I kind of recall that some have a mold inhibitor too.

Dyo is no longer in business. Their plant exploded , and remaining products, patents, formulas, etc. were bought out by LCI Inc.

Give them a call. You'll need to set up a business account with them and make minimum orders of $100 at a time. If you're not willing to buy a minimum of 50 gallons a year, don't ask Carlos too many questions, as he is busy with much more lucrative clients.

ed

You're right! I just got an email reply from DYO. They are forwarding my inquiry about Viscol to Carlos at LCI. Thanks for the account info.

Jim,

Welcome and thanks for the info and the previous experience. I have heard of guys using silicone oil for saddles, especially about 10 years or so ago when the anemic looking light saddles were the show saddle fad. The formulas back then ranged from straight silicon to silicon and olive oil. At the least Feibings and I think some others make a saddle oil with silicon/lanolin. I kind of recall that some have a mold inhibitor too.

Yep, 10 years ago is the right time frame. My, how time flies! Thanks for the welcome. I assume light-colored show saddles have gone the way of the hula hoop. Oh well, I'm not a saddlemaker anyway, I'll just be tooling and making smaller items.

- Jim

Ed,

I must say that they, LCI Inc., have the dubious honor of being the very first company that HAS NOT sent me an MSDS when it was requested. I know that they don't have to send it to a consumer but they are the first company to ever refuse sending one to me in almost 20 years and most likely over 1000 requests. Interesting to see your comments below.

Regards,

Ben

ed

A company that sells chemicals without offering an MSDS sheet won't be in business long.I have never heard of that either.It should have come with the product.Dave

Edited by DCKNIVES

Per OSHA rules a distributor does not have to send an MSDS to a consumer. However OSHA states that it would give consumers a better feeling concerning the company if they choose to do it. It suggests that it would be good will to the consumers to give out MSDS's anytime they are requested. This was a FIRST for me.

Regards,

Ben