l2bravo

How Do You Sew This Seam?

How was this seam sewn? The long one, that is running the length of this case? I really have no clue, and am stumped. Thanks guys, have a good weekend. Josh

legomutton001_zpsuyglgyli.jpg

My bet is they sewed the leather on an off the arm cylinder bed sewing machine, or by hand before the hard case inside was inserted.

It could also just be a flat seam on a leather veneer and the other side where the handle is is hiding another secret. Do you have any other pictures?

Tinker, this isn't my case, It was just a pic I got off the net. It's called a "leg O' Muton" case, and they are for high end shotguns. I am thinking this isn't handsewn, as I am pretty sure they are wet formed, on a wooden form. What kind of arm would sew around 35''? This really has me stumped.

Tinker, this isn't my case, It was just a pic I got off the net. It's called a "leg O' Muton" case, and they are for high end shotguns. I am thinking this isn't handsewn, as I am pretty sure they are wet formed, on a wooden form. What kind of arm would sew around 35''? This really has me stumped.

Hand sew it before wet forming?

And this kind of arm:

A lot of long bag manufacturers use Puritan "Alligator" chainstitch machines to sew up the arm. Nobody sees the inside stitches in a rifle or golf bag. Plus, the top stitches are usually all perfect in a chain stitch.

The thread is waxed linen that is waxed as you sew. The wax is Super Ceroxylon, made by Puritan.

Edited by Wizcrafts

Wiz, that is a machine I am not familiar with. I am only about 4 months deep in this all, and just trying to learn. Thanks for the insight, both of you guys.

Maybe I am not seeing the possibility here..... I am not sure how to hand sew this. You would need 4' long arms, the size of pencils.

Look at this link, and see what this guy says.

http://queencitydrygoods.blogspot.com/2013/12/leg-o-mutton-rifle-case.html

I know nothing of this machine, so therein, may lie the answer.

A Landis 12-K is a curved hook-needle and awl machine that has little depth of field bast the needle. It is basically built to sew along the outer seam of leather shoes and boots. It may allow an inch or two of penetration inside the needle and awl.

Maybe I am not seeing the possibility here..... I am not sure how to hand sew this. You would need 4' long arms, the size of pencils.

Look at this link, and see what this guy says.

http://queencitydrygoods.blogspot.com/2013/12/leg-o-mutton-rifle-case.html

I know nothing of this machine, so therein, may lie the answer.

A Landis 12-K is a curved hook-needle and awl machine that has little depth of field bast the needle. It is basically built to sew along the outer seam of leather shoes and boots. It may allow an inch or two of penetration inside the needle and awl.

The first one of these pictures is a seam that came up on several cases when i searched and it is done from the outside. The guy in the link who used a landis probably did this seem as well on his machine and wet formed it afterwards.

The answer to how you HAND sew long seams is you start at one end and work to the other, towards yourself. It can't really be done if you pre-glue, you need to put the seam together as you go. Its tight quarters but doable. Sometimes you can cheat and start from the center towards both ends in two pieces.

Edited by TinkerTailor

The first one of these pictures is a seam that came up on several cases when i searched and it is done from the outside. The guy in the link who used a landis probably did this seem as well on his machine and wet formed it afterwards.

The answer to how you sew long seams is you start at one end and work to the other, towards yourself. It can't really be done if you pre-glue, you need to put the seam together as you go. Its tight quarters but doable. Sometimes you can cheat and start from the center towards both ends in two pieces.

Nothing beats a transverse feed machine for sewing long seams on an bag. I lament not having one every time I repair a rifle bag.

My hillbilly solution is to remove the feed dog and presser feet from my Cowboy CB4500. I install the flat slotted throat plate and set the stitch lever to the zero position. I draw or scribe the stitch line on the top of the seam (and sometimes use an overstitch marker to id where the needle should hit) and move the bag to the left or right as I sew. It is tricky and sometimes requires a helper to guide the bag.

Nothing beats a transverse feed machine for sewing long seams on an bag. I lament not having one every time I repair a rifle bag.

My hillbilly solution is to remove the feed dog and presser feet from my Cowboy CB4500. I install the flat slotted throat plate and set the stitch lever to the zero position. I draw or scribe the stitch line on the top of the seam (and sometimes use an overstitch marker to id where the needle should hit) and move the bag to the left or right as I sew. It is tricky and sometimes requires a helper to guide the bag.

Wiz...

I have to drive over one of these days to check out your shop..

Lew