tossik

So Many Machines.. Help Me Narrow It Down

Hi everyone, I have been researching machines for a little while now and having difficulties on narrowing down a machine for my needs.

To date, all my work has been hand stitched (which is really nice, except when I spend few days stitching on larger projects) :)

I want to use a machine to sew larger items as well as large production small items. So I would be sewing some wallets (needs thin thread) max 4/5oz leather. Lined belts 8/9oz leather medium to heavy thread. Small toiletry bags with leather canvas materials, saddle bags and briefcases/totes.

So it seems I would sew anything from small to large items. Now should I get one machine or get two for different tasks? my top budget for machine is around $1,600+-. I will sew leather and canvas and maybe some felt.

Any suggestions?

Cowboy 3200,

I have one in the for sale forum for....

I sew 3-5 oz leather with 207 thread and #18 needle and sew 12-14 with 277 thread and # 25-26 needles.

I haven't sewn anything thinner. You can contact Ryan at Neel's Saddlery and ask him, he is a dealer for Cowboy machines and is a wealth of info.

The only reason I'm selling this machine is to move up the the Cowboy 4500 for the larger work I do.

I hope this helps...

George

Tossik, I think you will find there is no "one machine" that will "do it all" I have three, and they all get used for various projects. A cylinder arm machine such as the aforementioned CB 3200, or a Consew 227 R-2 are more versatile than a standard Flatbed machine, but will not normally sew thread smaller than #69 with a size 18 needle. My suggestion would be to visit a dealer and explain what you wish to do, and see if they will let you try different machines (flatbed and cylinder arms) to see which one you feel more comfortable with.

Hi everyone, I have been researching machines for a little while now and having difficulties on narrowing down a machine for my needs.

To date, all my work has been hand stitched (which is really nice, except when I spend few days stitching on larger projects) :)

I want to use a machine to sew larger items as well as large production small items. So I would be sewing some wallets (needs thin thread) max 4/5oz leather. Lined belts 8/9oz leather medium to heavy thread. Small toiletry bags with leather canvas materials, saddle bags and briefcases/totes.

So it seems I would sew anything from small to large items. Now should I get one machine or get two for different tasks? my top budget for machine is around $1,600+-. I will sew leather and canvas and maybe some felt.

Any suggestions?

For sewing 4oz leather with thin thread AND 8/9oz leather with heavier thread, you need a light/medium cylinder walking foot machine. This kind of machine would be a bit better at regulating tensions for thin leather and can use thinner thread than the heavy duty machines. These sell for $1600 to $2000 depending on features and additional options so you should be able to find one within your budget.

I have very similar needs and this is healping me narrow down my search ad well. What brands/models should i be looking towards?

So for now I figured to look for two machines. for larger and heavier items I will look for a cylinder walking foot machine, and for smaller items that require thin thread and light cloth I will get a flat walking sewing machine.

Now time to narrow both down. Probably a better quality cylinder machine, and an older flat base machine. Gonna try to find both under $2000. Suggestions people?

Contact the dealers in the ads at the top of the page, and ask what they have in used machines. They may be able to help you get a machine (or two) without jumping directly to "new machine". Then, when you have your options laid out, choose the one that is offering the best machine for the money. Keep in mind that to sew leather, there are often slight modifications that should be performed on the machine such as swapping out the feed dogs and feet for smooth (or less aggressive) faced ones; it's commonly called a "leather package".

You've already done the best first step - getting information. The most important thing I advise against is to NOT get a local machine and figure to do all the modifications yourself (unless you're a sewing machine mechanic). While I'm sure it would be an educational experience, leaving the initial set up to the dealers will save you money, time, and aggravation.

************ Best advice on picking a machine: Get more machine than you think you'll need.*******************************

If you'll only be sewing lighter things like wallets on the smaller machine, you might expand your search parameters to include 'needle feed walking foot' machines, and 'roller foot' machines. If you've decided that two machines would be best, don't limit yourself in the 'medium' category. IIRC, the 227 and clones will handle 207 size thread as the max. If the machine isn't going to be used for light weight things (wallets), then go with the 3200 machine as it will handle the thicker threads as well- leave the small thread to the small machine. If you use it for bags, you can still drop down to 138/92 thread for those.

For your lightweight machine...there's a LOT of older Consews, Adlers, Singers, Pfaffs and Jukis that would do the job very well, even if they don't have reverse...ask about those when calling a dealer. Even something like a Singer 111 would be adequate for most wallet work, and while not 'a dime a dozen', they're affordable.

Contact the dealers in the ads at the top of the page, and ask what they have in used machines. They may be able to help you get a machine (or two) without jumping directly to "new machine". Then, when you have your options laid out, choose the one that is offering the best machine for the money. Keep in mind that to sew leather, there are often slight modifications that should be performed on the machine such as swapping out the feed dogs and feet for smooth (or less aggressive) faced ones; it's commonly called a "leather package".

You've already done the best first step - getting information. The most important thing I advise against is to NOT get a local machine and figure to do all the modifications yourself (unless you're a sewing machine mechanic). While I'm sure it would be an educational experience, leaving the initial set up to the dealers will save you money, time, and aggravation.

************ Best advice on picking a machine: Get more machine than you think you'll need.*******************************

If you'll only be sewing lighter things like wallets on the smaller machine, you might expand your search parameters to include 'needle feed walking foot' machines, and 'roller foot' machines. If you've decided that two machines would be best, don't limit yourself in the 'medium' category. IIRC, the 227 and clones will handle 207 size thread as the max. If the machine isn't going to be used for light weight things (wallets), then go with the 3200 machine as it will handle the thicker threads as well- leave the small thread to the small machine. If you use it for bags, you can still drop down to 138/92 thread for those.

For your lightweight machine...there's a LOT of older Consews, Adlers, Singers, Pfaffs and Jukis that would do the job very well, even if they don't have reverse...ask about those when calling a dealer. Even something like a Singer 111 would be adequate for most wallet work, and while not 'a dime a dozen', they're affordable.

Awesome information and advice! Thanks!