Ashley

Bobbin help!

I am starting a new thread because the one I was chatting in was about a singer.

Ok, I bought a FS288 (like the Sailrite LSZ-1) and I am having an issue with the bobbin not winding evenly. John told me about the screw in front of the bobbin tensioner. I have raised and lowered it and have found no height that will make the bobbin wind evenly. Please help!

Pic below shows you how I have it set up

DSC06660.jpg

DSC06661.jpg

This pic shows you how uneven it winds the thread

DSC06667.jpg">

:whatdoyouthink:

Hi Ashley,

I don't know anything about your specific machine, but generally to the left, out of your picture, there should be a pair of discs that the thread should go through to give it more tension. As the thread winds onto the bobbin, it pushes itself where it should be. Think of winding a hose onto a reel, its the same only smaller. Good luck, Kevin

Not sure what you mean about the discs. I have it in the bobbin tensioner already. Is that what you mean? On the left of the machine?

This is from the sailrite manual:

thread.jpg">

This is really frustrating because I can't even sew anything without a wound bobbin. My husband looked at it and he's the mechanical one. He couldn't get it to work either. ARGH! :bawling::helpsmilie::ranting2::censored2:

Ashley,

I have a consew looks just like your machine. Wrap the thread twice around the post/bearing on the left side of your top picture. Thread goes just under the top part (which is or should have spring tension holding it down against thread).

That will give you more tension and should wrap better. It will still try to be a little un-even but will be snug enough.

Regis

I think it might be the thread. I have #69 thread coming, but I was trying to use regular all purpose thread. Could that be the problem? Do I use bobbin thread that is the same as the other thread? I know these might be dumb questions but I've only used a home sewing machine before nothing that used anything but all purpose or rayon type stuff.

I think it might be the thread. I have #69 thread coming, but I was trying to use regular all purpose thread. Could that be the problem? Do I use bobbin thread that is the same as the other thread? I know these might be dumb questions but I've only used a home sewing machine before nothing that used anything but all purpose or rayon type stuff.

I use 69 through 138 on my consew. If you are using garmet thread, it mabe a probelm but it should go on bobbin ok. I would think the problem would be in sewing. Be sure to use the right size needle for each size thread. That caused me problems when I first started. And leather needles, of course (I believe #16 or #18 for 69 thread).

Regis

I have #69 coming this week and #16 and #18 needles too. MY hubby actually took a screw driver, put it under the thread and let it lay on it, holding the thread up a bit as it wound around the bobbin, it worked then. I am wondering if the bobbin isn't low enough on the machine? We raised the tensioner as high as it would go and it still is winding mainly around the bottom.

make sure that little plastic tab is positioned properly against the bobbin. If you can't get the machine to wind the bobbin correctly, wind it by hand. That way, at least, you may begin sewing with your machine.

This is wear the plastic tab is:

DSC06680.jpg"DSC06681.jpg">>

Edited by Ashley

Ashley,

A lot of folks just wind bobbins with a drill. I do both, sometimes on the sewing machine and sometimes with drill. When you wind on the machine, the tension needs to be snug enough for the thread to track. Even then, sometime it needs a little guiding, on mine, anyway. On my Artisan, the bobbin winds nice and level while sewing but, that's atotallly different machine.

how do you do it with a drill? Is it worth buying the Sailrite bobbin winder? Or another bobbin winder on the side. Like this one? Bobbin Winder

Edited by Ashley

how do you do it with a drill? Is it worth buying the Sailrite bobbin winder? Or another bobbin winder on the side. Like this one? Bobbin Winder

I have a wood dowel that fits the bobbin and just chuck it in the hand drill. Seperate winder would be very good. I imagine the one from Sailrite is pretty pricey but, probably very good quality. I bought their monster wheel and a few other small items and have been very pleased with quality (and grumbled about price). If I was filling a few bobbins per day, I'd get a seperate winder for sure.

Regis

Thanks. Do I use the same thread for the bobbin? The sailrite bobbin winder is only $15, but it needs to connect with the fly wheel to operate, which I am not that mechanical. However, it says that it connects with 3 screws and that's it. Maybe worth trying?

This is the only sailrite bobbin winder I see:

http://www.sailrite.com/W030Z

That's a replacement part. Your machine already has the same installed. You may have already done this, but try wrapping the thread around the bobbin by hand several times, then see if the machine can do the rest. Also, have another look at the diagram posted in this thread and double check the tensioning. It seems that your problem is some very simple oversight.

My hubby came to the rescue! He took off the top of the machine and straightened the bobbin post on the right. It was crooked. I watched the Sailrite Ultrafeed Set-Up & Use (got them in yesterday) and I had everything right and I tried tweeking the tensioner and it wasn't helping. So, today after calling Yamata directly and leaving a message...my hubby tried to fix it. YIPPEE!

I bought the swing gauge from Sailrite...the screws do not fit, should I by smaller screws? The FS288 has holes where they are supposed to go but they aren't grooved for screws.