bucksnort

Sometimes The Wrong Things Work

I put this piece of rawhide in the window to show how clear it is. This hide was given to me by a friend who is about 200 miles away. Since I knew it would be several days before I was over that way, I ask him to have the slaughter house put it in the freezer. This particular facility doesn't always follow directions very well, they the same ones that recently salted a hide that was being saved for me. Anyway, instead of freezing it they stuck it in a box & set it in an old cooler that wasn't running, cool & dark & the weather was cool. It sat that way for 5 days before I picked it up. When I got home & stretched it all of the excess meat & fat had started to rot & came off with no effort & the hair was slipping. As you can see, I didn't get all of the membrane off (ran out of time). End result is one of the nicest hides I've had in a while. In fairness, this is off of a very old (20 yrs.) & poor longhorn cow which certainly helps the quality. I know that on dead animals the hide will last long after everything else rots away. Judging from this hide, I may try this again. Give me your thoughts. Buck

post-43386-0-40564700-1403295136_thumb.j

I guess if you ask them to put it in the unused cooler next time, they'll put it in the freezer then...

Good point, next time I'll ask them to double salt it & make sure it doesn't freeze. Buck

Had the same thing happen with a goat hide the other day...I left it in the vinegar overnight instead of the usual half hour or so...it was perfectly clear..although a bit brittle.

Ok not far I tried to do the RIGHT things on 3 hides and they all became a big mess. I want your kind of luck :)