Sign in to follow this  
bushpilotmexico

Long Stitches When Sewing The Curve On The Tongue Billet With My Cobra 4

Still on a learning curve with the new Cobra 4. I'm stitching along the belt just like a house on fire and now I'm coming to the end of the tongue billet and I must follow the curve (I am using the stitching guide as I don't yet have the confidence to follow my stitching groove free hand).

As I enter the curve I let the Cobra do it's thing, at or close to the tip what I am doing is walking the needle around by hand so to speak just using the fly wheel. As per the instructions I don't turn the belt until the presser foot lifts on it's own. I then, using the fly wheel only, sew the next stitch, wait til the presser foot lifts on it's own and then turn following my groove. Once around the corner I begin sewing with the Cobra.

Problem is I'm getting the long stitches as you can see in the photo. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Picture_4.jpg

I know what you are doing, but I am trying to think of an articulate way to explain how to stop it.

When you get to the tip, let the needle go all the way down and just start to come back up. Stop. lift the presser foot and rotate the leather to the correct position for the next stitch. Then use the hand wheel to advance to the next stitch. Repeat until you get out of the tip and proceed as normal.

If you turn the belt while turning the wheel, you will get the long stitches like that.

I'm glad this was asked here and answered so well. I expect I too will encounter this at some point. Thank you Bush for asking, and Colt for the answer! Don.

I know what you are doing, but I am trying to think of an articulate way to explain how to stop it.

When you get to the tip, let the needle go all the way down and just start to come back up. Stop. lift the presser foot and rotate the leather to the correct position for the next stitch. Then use the hand wheel to advance to the next stitch. Repeat until you get out of the tip and proceed as normal.

If you turn the belt while turning the wheel, you will get the long stitches like that.

Thanks Colt.....just finished trying your tip and it works perfectly! You guys are terrific. It's one thing getting the Cobra 4 "Ready to sew" and another thing trying to accomplish it. Kind of wish Steve would include a second DVD showing sewing techniques, problems and solutions. I think at times his phone must be ringing off the hook.