treybecca

Fine Detail Tooling

I have piece of tooling I want to execute on a wallet, but I am looking for some very fine detailing. I have the smallest bevelers and such you can get from Tandys, and they are proving to be a bit large and awkward. Any other suggestions for tools to help get into the tight spots would be greatly appreciated.

Barry King bevelers, will greatly improve this. There steep back angle is what you want.

I guess it helps to post a pic of what I am trying to replicate....again this will be on a Roper Wallet Kit. post-17044-0-95123600-1354238575_thumb.j

I have the same tool and just sanded the sides down with a dremmel sanding wheel or whatever its called. You have to be carefull not to go to fast though.

Edited by PutnamLeather

+1 for modifying a tool that's not exactly what you want. There's no rule that says you can't... Just make sure you spend a little time polishing the surfaces you grind on up a bit.

All of the above plus a modeling spoon. You may also have to adjust the artwork a touch. I think a modeling spoon would probably be your best start.

I have also modified some of the Tandy bevelers to get into very small areas but...Afterwards the leather do get stained by the metal (cemical reaction leather+metal?), you get a darker greyish hue to the leather. This is not a problem IF you're going to dye/paint the tooled area with something that covers it. If you want to have it natural I too suggest the BK smaller tools.

Edited by Tina