Sign in to follow this  
Randyc

planning to buy a bottle jack press setup

icon_quote.gif icon_edit.gif I'm planning to buy a bottle jack press setup to press mold holsters and sheaths. Since I'm running out of shop space and money I would like to be able to click out holster parts with the same press.

What size ie. ton rating would work out best for molding and clicking?

Would I be able to get enough clicking leverage with the manual jack?

Does anyone have any comments on the 6 ton press set up offered by Weaver Leather and would their clicker plates work on other brand H presses or are these plates made specific for their press? For forming holsters, I assume I would have to place rubber pads on the clicker plates. How thick should these pads be and who supplies the pads?

Thanks For The Help

Randy

Get with Bruce Johnson on the Saddle and Tack forum. He made one. He found that he had to use a 20 ton.

Art

I've been toying with the same idea. Here's a deal I found on a 20 ton air/hydraulic press. It will cost about $90 - $150 to ship depending on how far you are from one of their warehouses, but for me that still works out to be about the same as a Northern Tool manual 20 ton press.

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Shop-Press-s/40.htm

I actally went to Northern tool today and looked at the 20 ton they have on sale for $249, it looks alot better than the one Harbour Freight has for the same price. I'm going to pick one up this weekend, I have a friend of mine who owns a machine shop making 2- 12" x 12" x 1" steel plates for it as we speak. I hope this works for the moulding process because if it doesn't I"ll have a 200+ lb paperweight taking up room.

I have been pondering selling my Clicker, need it? I have it set up for home 220V (phase converter) so it'll run from your breaker box or dryer socket.

Pop me an email if needed.

Andy ( andy@shottist.com )