ferretface

Questions About An Old Holster

This seems like as good as place as any to ask... :)

I bought this holster back in the 70's/80's, after viewing an article in one of those paperbound gun books that are on any gunshop rack...the maker used his initials [JGA] as his holster names...Years later, I tried to order another, but the makers' son wrote back to me that his father (JGA) had died and the rights to that particular holster sold to a large holster manufacturer...

I lost the letter years ago, and have not seen this pattern of holster since...I don't know if it's because I live in a closet and don't get out much, or the mfg decided to buy the rights to kill the competition with their model...

Has anyone seen this holster??? If I can find the mfg, and they still make it, I might just buy their holster...Otherwise, I'll try to find a hobbyist with the skills to make one (or more)...

It is for a Colt Commander, although any 1911 auto will fit...Steel band in top; adjustable tension at trigger guard; sight channel big enough for a Gold Cup; fits 1 3/4" belts...

Last resort would be to spend the $$$ and time and make one myself...I'm a machinist by profession, and getting along in years, and have a large backlog of projects sitting waiting for time to work on them...Learning a new hobby this late in life is a daunting prospect... :(

Anyway, if this holster looks familiar to you, please comment...

Thank You!!!

Jga_2a.jpg

Jga_1a.jpg

Jga_3a.jpg

post-14457-127099163934_thumb.jpg

post-14457-127099166073_thumb.jpg

post-14457-127099167914_thumb.jpg

it looks similar to a lot of holsters......there is no reason that you could not make one like that yourself and be very happy with the finished product.

...there is no reason that you could not make one like that yourself and be very happy with the finished product.

...Time, Luke, time...there ain't never enough...

If I last another 6 years and retire, then maybe I'll have the time... :(

You might check out Brigade Gunleather. They have a model M-3 that looks a lot like what you have here.

Brigade M-3

I do not have personal knowledge of their holsters, but I have read their process they use and it seems very sound.

Good Luck in your search.

You might check out Brigade Gunleather. They have a model M-3 that looks a lot like what you have here.

Brigade M-3

Thanks for that link! It does look quite similar; but if you compare their backside to my JGA, the M-3 has little or no forward cant (despite their claim) compared to the JGA.

I have never heard of Brigade, and I'm pretty sure that's not the name the son gave me. They could have changed it, of course - or bought the rights from the 2nd mfg...

(Or just copied it outright)... :rolleyes:

It's a holster built on the Askin's Avenger originally put out by Bianchi. It's a widely popular design, still in hard use today. Particle has been making some beautiful avenger's for Commander and EMP size 1911's. I'd say shoot him a PM;

Particle has been making some beautiful avenger's for Commander and EMP size 1911's. I'd say shoot him a PM;

Thanks Dick! I just took delivery of one of Particle's holsters for my Star BM; very happy with it! ;)

I don't see the Avenger in the Bianchi lineup; but they mention being acquired by Safariland, so I'll check there...