Hey guys! So I'm fresh off the boat here... Like I have zero leather working experience other than doing up my belt in the morning. What attracted me to the hobby/trade was surprisingly enough.. YouTube! I know it's not as easy as it looks, but I think I'll really enjoy leather working once I get started. The first thing I wanted to make is a messenger bag with a gusset.. I want the bag to be able to hold a 15.6" laptop plus a binder on the other side of the divider (pretty average messenger bag?..) and I have loads of questions... I guess I'll just list them off?

1. So, as I have no leather working tools, what should I get as the bare essentials to get me to started off making the bag?

(I can get the cutting mat and exact-o blades for cutting, I'm just talking about punches and needles and all the bare essentials).

2. What kind of leather should I use? I want the bag to be able to withstand normal wear and tear but feel nice and soft (not like a holster-type leather that's really thick, but something that just feels nice in the hand if that makes sense...)

3. Based on what I've mentioned, does anyone know where I could find (preferably free) patterns for something like this?

4. Is a project like this too complex for someone who is just coming into the hobby?

Thanks in advance guys! and Sorry, I know millions of posts like this one have circulated I just figured I'd ask.

Edited by macmandr197

Welcome to the forum. Check here for those patterns. We have some very experienced members who have donated their time to post or create patterns. Good luck!

Hey guys! So I'm fresh off the boat here... Like I have zero leather working experience other than doing up my belt in the morning. What attracted me to the hobby/trade was surprisingly enough.. YouTube! I know it's not as easy as it looks, but I think I'll really enjoy leather working once I get started. The first thing I wanted to make is a messenger bag with a gusset.. I want the bag to be able to hold a 15.6" laptop plus a binder on the other side of the divider (pretty average messenger bag?..) and I have loads of questions... I guess I'll just list them off?

1. So, as I have no leather working tools, what should I get as the bare essentials to get me to started off making the bag?

(I can get the cutting mat and exact-o blades for cutting, I'm just talking about punches and needles and all the bare essentials).

2. What kind of leather should I use? I want the bag to be able to withstand normal wear and tear but feel nice and soft (not like a holster-type leather that's really thick, but something that just feels nice in the hand if that makes sense...)

3. Based on what I've mentioned, does anyone know where I could find (preferably free) patterns for something like this?

4. Is a project like this too complex for someone who is just coming into the hobby?

Thanks in advance guys! and Sorry, I know millions of posts like this one have circulated I just figured I'd ask.

Hi and welcome to the trade!!! You will find many kind and helpful people here...

The best advice I can give you is to contact Bruce Johnson here: http://brucejohnsonleather.com/about-me/my-leatherwork Telephone: (844) LTHR-Tools

Two years ago I was in the same boat you are now--I called Bruce because I had read that he is the go-to guy for tools and is very well-respected on this forum. When I first started, I called him up, told him what I wanted to do, and he picked out a simple tool set for me. He will be happy to help you as well...truly a nice guy :)

Have fun!!!

Thanks kid! I'll definitely check him out!