Sign in to follow this  
hosscomp

Newbie Question On Forms

Al Stohlman talks briefly about making wooden forms or wood mandrils for cases. Are there other ways to this? I am planning to make a cylindrical case similar to the dice cup about 2.5 inches in diameter. The largest dowels i can find in local hardware stores are 2 inches in diameter. Do most leather workers have their own wood lathe and wood tools for making such forms? I found this one, Neiko 10370 Wood Cutting Lathe G1-1000, online for around $100 and am wondering if this would be a good one for such or if there is a less expensive way to do forms, or if they are really necessary.

You could try different pipe sizes from your local home center. PVC or ABS pipe is not all that expensive. Pipe is usually measured by inside diameter so take a tape measure or rule with you so you can get the size you really want.

Once you buy a lathe, you also need a set of lathe tools. A cheap set starts around $100. You also need a place to put it. Then to learn how to use it. You can make a lot of shavings or firewood in a short time.

You could try different pipe sizes from your local home center. PVC or ABS pipe is not all that expensive. Pipe is usually measured by inside diameter so take a tape measure or rule with you so you can get the size you really want.

Once you buy a lathe, you also need a set of lathe tools. A cheap set starts around $100. You also need a place to put it. Then to learn how to use it. You can make a lot of shavings or firewood in a short time.

Thanks. I was thinking the wood was necessary to put tacks in, but I was just reading in Al's hand sewing book that that you can use jars, pipes, and such, but will have to glue the seam for sewing. I am not quite ready to get into woodworking yet, so I'm sure I can find something the size I need or find someone with a lathe nearby that will make a dowel for me.

Thanks again,

Ron

I work at a college.. and the woodworking tutor (also a cabinet maker on the side) made me a stitching pony.. and in return I am making him a couple of odd shaped belt pouches for some rare brass tools he uses. You may find a woodworker in your area who is happy to do some trading with you.

Natalie