thekid77

How Can I Reduce Thickness Of Leather Without A Splitter?

Hi friends, I have some 4-5oz vegtan that I need t( thin down to half of its current thickness...i don't have a splitter...

I do have a disc sander though...not sure if it would work...any ideas, prior experience, and expertise are greatly appreciated! Thank you :)

You can use a safety beveler to skive it. depending on how much you need to do might want to ask someone to split it for you. Here is an example. http://springfieldleather.com/24773/Beveler%2CSafety/ I use one all the time on small pieces. Cheryl

I just saw a You tube video of a shoe guy using a spoke shave to thin leather.

How large a piece do you need to split? I do long strips of soft leather with a belt sander. The safety skiver works and I've used it on wallet shells successfully, but my hands were sore when I finished. I've had a lot better luck with a round knife but I just got a splitter and I won't be wearing out my hands like that again.

use the safety skiver then sand to smooth out any high areas. use a sanding block. to help maintain keeping it level . its a lot of work if your doing a very large area but it works well if you dont have a splitter

Skilled saddlemakers routinely use the humble little safety skiver (beveler) to thin out large areas of saddle skirting, which is several times thicker than your 4/5 oz. It would take much practice and skill to evenly skive that thin leather with a safety skiver, IMO. I'd try something else.

Better yet, why not just buy some good quality leather in the thickness you need? You can get some very nice, yet inexpensive kipskin in the thickness you require.

Michelle

The real answer is you can't. I doubt there's anyone in the world that can do a consistent split from 4 to 2 oz with a safety skiver. I have a fixed blade splitter and I can't always get a consistent split from 4 to 2 oz. If you want good quality results you're either gonna have to get a splitter it just buy thinner leather.

Andrew

a machine skiver can split vegtan slowly 2inch at a time. Never done it and don't know if its easy to get it consistent but its possible.