Sign in to follow this  
LAPat

Leather for dog tack

I got into dog tack as a trainer and maker of fur toys, and I pretty much use whatever I find at a good price because I don't mass produce. I've used latigo and harness/bridle leather for leads and even tooling leather sometimes, and I got an odd lot of shoe or boot or belt leather, who knows what it was for, that is 8 or 9 oz and in great colors (clearly sprayed on). I am always looking for colored leather that I can use for leads because I split braid, but I just can't find anything like what I have. The center is grey and pretty cardboardy, but it holds up well over time and softens really nicely.

What do people use for their stuff? Again, I am very attracted to color but of course it can't run. And I'm fussy about the back side, it needs to be very smooth. I get so much out of a side that I don't mind paying more for better. I will also mix two different types of leather on the split braid leads, of the same weight. So I can use a standard latigo or bridle or whatever for the lead end, and other leather for the decorative braid.

Also, if anyone does split braids, how do you do it fast? I hand cut slits.... but if I decide to get someone to help, I have to get with the program. I'm totally self taught, btw, I take stuff apart and learn that way.

These are older pictures. I've learned to reverse the braid so the short piece is tucked.

redlead415_1.JPG

Thanks in advance,

LA Pat leadcolors383_1.JPG

post-2368-1235067893_thumb.jpg

post-2368-1235067941_thumb.jpg

They're really nice! I want to lean how to braid like that :) Do you know of any online tutorials or good books?

Ruth. This is a bit of a double answer to a couple of your questions on seperate threads.

Leather

http://www.gretannery.com.au/products.htm

Plaiting

http://www.ramsskullpress.com/crafts.html

Bushcraft 8 and 9 should get you on your way.

Machine

See Jimsaddler

Barra.

Thanks :) I've been in contact with Jim. Still finding it difficult to narrow down which machine would be best suited to my needs.