Sign in to follow this  
Rocket6R

Redying A Different Color!

I have a cowboy leather holster and belt that is dyed whatappears to be similar to a British tan color. The rig is pretty weathered and I’m assuming it has some kind of sealanton it. Anyway, I would like to dye itUSMC black. Any opinions on how I shoulddo this? Or, Should I just leave italone? By the way, I did go into Tandy’sand they looked at the rig and said that the closest color was Britishtan. I tried a test spot on the back ofthe rig and the British tan color does not exactly match up, it’s a few tonesoff.

Thanks, Paul

Being used it won't match up, assuming it is/was the same dye. My guess is it's now a little darker, right? UV will darken it and oil from your hands, as well as some sweat if it's really been used. Buyer calls it age, and/or dirt, filth and the seller calls it patina ... lol!

If I was going for black, I would get deglazer and strip it. Let it air dry, a fan blowing over it won't hurt. Speed it up with a hairdryer, but I wouldn't use heat, just blow air over it. Let it set a day or so after deglazing. Then dye it black. It may take more than one coat. Buff it real good after or between coats if you apply more than one. You'll probably get some rub-off even if you seal it, but make sure you seal it or you WILL get rub-off. I wouldn't dye the back/inside if it were mine. I'd wear some knock-around clothes the first time I tried it on and give it a good go because you're probably going to get rub-off even with a sealer. I'd use Neat Lac or equivalent product; I don't like the shiny finish, but it is the best sealer I've found for a re-dye like this one. I haven't messed with these "green" dyes much. You may find they are better than some of the older products. If the USMC black is the same formula, I'd bet on rub-off, so I'd seal heck out of it. Make sure to buff like crazy so as to remove as much rub-off as you can before you wear it.

If the original holster had oil applyed to it, no matter how good you clean and re-dye

i do beleive you will get some rub off.

Why not contiditon the rig with oil and wear it happly " tell em you just came in off the range"..............

Thanks for both responses. At this point in time I think I'll just leave the rig alone. I'll put some oil back into the leather and enjoy it as it is. I think if I try and redye it I'll have a mess on my hands and it will turn out worse than it already is.

Thanks again, Paul

I wonder if vinegroon would turn the whole thing black after you remove the top coat finish? Maybe do a test to see and let us know.