Sign in to follow this  
vector

Elastic Stopers. Sewing Buttons

Hi all,

Apologies for blury photos, macro mode wouldnt work.

Elastic stops and how to sew buttons help needed.

Just wondering if you have any ideas on a neat way to stop elastic from being pulled thru a whole.

In the first pic hopefully you will recognise an armguard. This is a simple design but Im having thoughts on how to stop the elastic. You can see it just poke thru the end of the "Leather" tube which helps to strengthen the side.

A normal knot is just to bulky (4mm dia elastic cord) I tried folding it on itself and whipping with sewing thread. Better but still a bit bulky. whipping around the cord by itself just comes off because as the cord is stretched it gets thinner. I need a soft non bulky "blob" attached to the end so it fits neatly into the tube but cannot pull out the smaller hole on the side. Problem is the user needs to adjust or replace this elastic so I cant just sew it in place. The adjustment is normally the other end however. You pull the other end and there is enough friction that it holds. Here a knot or bead is not so bad Its further up the arm and out of the way.

The second question/ picture is of a button. In this case its a leather button with a plastic tubular spacer. The elastic, from above Q, is caught underneath the button and around the spacer.The spacer protects the thread from teh elastic rubbing and just gives it all a bit more space. I had lots of trouble sewing this button.Even tho I prepunched 4 holes thru the button and armguard I had a terrible time "finding" the path. So if you have any ideas how one sews a button like this please help. Also note that it got pretty bulky underneath. i think I should have sewed the button on first then folded the leather over (the tube) and sewn the tube up thus hiding the under button thread.

100_4149.JPG

button.JPG

button top.JPG

button_bk.JPG

post-9770-127253805504_thumb.jpg

post-9770-12725384224_thumb.jpg

post-9770-127253875253_thumb.jpg

post-9770-127253876172_thumb.jpg

You might try tieing the cord ends together and creating a loop. This could be hidden under the folded over piece.

I dont have any ideas about the user adjustments.

Edited by GrampaJoel