Sign in to follow this  
caaront

I Got Started With A Kit But The Tools Suck

I ended up with a slight bend in one of my tools while I was tooling/stamping a cell phone case.

I realize that I might have been hitting the tool at an angle or holding it at an angle some times but, I'd think that a good quality tool would not bend when hit with a very light plastic mallet.

I figure that quality tools have thicker handles on them, at least I hope they do.

It caused me not to tool a leather wallet deep enough tonight so the basket weave is not as sharp and detailed as it should be.

Any advice, other than get quality tools?

LOL

If your tools are out of a Tandy kit, take it back and have them replace it. Tandy tools are crappy. Tandy kit tools are far far worse than the normal crappy tools. Have them replace them and you will get the normal crappy ones, you will have better luck then.

Once you decide you want to tool, but good tools.

Aaron

Thank you.

There also wasn't enough waxed string to finish the wallet, I have to wait until after the new year to go get some more to finish the billfold.

Was it the new Kingston wallet? I did one of those for the Tandy manager a few weeks ago, there was about half of the thread necessary to do it. Was really surprised, of anything to short in the kit, thread is cheap.

Was it the new Kingston wallet? I did one of those for the Tandy manager a few weeks ago, there was about half of the thread necessary to do it. Was really surprised, of anything to short in the kit, thread is cheap.

It's the wallet in the deluxe starter kit, and I thought the thread would be cheap enough that for a beginner they'd add a little extra.

I was unhappy with the way it looked with the thread in the very large holes. So I pulled the thread out and used lace instead. The lace did a better job filling in the holes and covering the edge since the lining didn't burnish with the back of the wallet. I bought the same Deluxe kit last year and my back grounding tool broke shortly after. I did get it replaced. That was about the worst experience I've had with this kit. The best thing was, that it fueled my addiction.

My basket weave stamp broke as I was about halfway finished with a checkbook cover, I will take the kit back to Tandy after the 1st.

Thanks for the help.

My basket weave stamp broke as I was about halfway finished with a checkbook cover, I will take the kit back to Tandy after the 1st.

Thanks for the help.

The new one will likely be slightly different, so it is unlikely you will be able to finish the pattern you are in the middle of.

Thank you.

There also wasn't enough waxed string to finish the wallet, I have to wait until after the new year to go get some more to finish the billfold.

I wonder if that is why Tandy marked them down from $120 to $60. I ordered one for the projects and the stains/finishing stuff. The Kits say Age 8 and up... isn't a broken stamp an injury hazard? Has anyone check to see if there is a recall?