wezgo

Carving Patterns For Mexican Double Loop Holsters

Hello,

I am new here and just starting to discover the wealth of talent represented here. I have a question and if anyone can help me It would be much appreciated. I am building western Mexican double loop holsters. I think I have mastered the building of them and now have been learning carving. I think I am ready to carve my first holster. Does anyone know if there are any carving templates available for MDL holsters? I have the Stohlman holster making book but none seem to fit exactly. I am artistically challenged so have really enjoyed using the Craftaids from Tandy. I am using Will Ghormleys patterns which are wonderful. The carving tracings are nice toward the center but seem to drop off around the edges so I loose my way. I am thinking I may have to take bits and pieces from other templates and try to fit them together. If anyone has any suggestions I will welcome them.

Thank You,

David

You may have a difficult time finding an exact fit because every holster will be a little different depending on type of gun etc. You may have to enlarge some patterns thentrim them down to fit your holster. If you can get a hold of a copy of Packing Iron there is a wealth of patterns to look at. You dont need a pattern specificaly for a double loop mexican put the main pattern on the holster then on the loop you can use border stamps etc. If you are getting into making this type of holster their is a great deal of information and exmples at cascity.com leather shop forum. If you have a pictureof one of your holsters or a picture of your pattern i can look and see if I have any tooling patterns that might work for you.