millman927

neels saddlery vs. consew

I was hoping some of you experts could help me choose for a middle of the line (say 69 to 214 thread)( and not to start a war) sewing machine, say neels ns 0797, or the consew 206 rb, juki 1541, techsew, tachsew, and the like. I 've been reading this fine forum for quite some time, think its great, I'm a little new to this craft and just starting to get the basics of tooling and sewing, I have the techsew GA5-1 and its a great heavy leather machine, so thought I'd ask for something a little lighter.

Thanks for the help. Bob

I have a Juki 1541s. It is one of the best machines I have ever owned. I have never had a problem with it. The machine just sews and sews and sews. It is very powerful and EZ to use and maintain. I highly recommend it for light to medium weight leather sewing.

Neel is a great guy. Too bad he doesn't sell Juki's!!

:red_bandana::red_bandana::red_bandana:

Hi Bob,

The sewing machine business has changes over the last decade or two and things are often not what they seem, claim, or happen to be. I can think of only one or two machines currently being made in the U.S.A., The Classic comes to mind. The Germans are not making machines either, Pfaff is kinda gone, and Adler is Chinese, some are assembled in Europe, but the parts are Chinese. Juki, Consew, and Mitsubishi go both ways, some machines are exclusively Chinese and some are Hybrids, few are all Japanese.

But...

Some of the Chinese machines are pretty good, some are just good, and some are awful. They are hard to tell apart because they knock-off each others designs (well, anybody's really) at the drop of a chopstick, and they all buy and sell parts to each other, and it goes on and on. Then their are enterprises that buy stuff from everybody and assemble it into their own line. They are in a time of rogue capitalism over there and companies may be making dolls and trinkets one day, and sewing machines the next, and nowhere to be found in a month or two.

The industrial sewing machine business in the U.S. is strictly import. For the leather business there are some modifications to the machines, but it consists of 3-5 sewing parts and a 1/2 hour at most of labor. Motors, speed reducers, tables/stands, belts, and heads. You really have to find a supplier who knows what to have manufactured and by whom over there, and how to service it after the sale. Harbor Freight may not be the choice for a leather sewing machine, but if you can service yourself, then maybe.

If you want a name, there is a new distributor under the machine name Cobra, who will be selling at Wickenburg and most shows thereafter. I know where his machines come from and can tell you they are excellent, his knowledge and service are second to none.

I have not heard a complaint about Neel's machines although I haven't seen any either, folks that have them seem to love them.

The Consew 206 RB (no numbers afterward) was I think the last of the Japanese 206s. Real nice machine but the later Chinese ones are pretty good too.

The Juki 1541 is a fantastic machine.

I've seen Tacsew 111s and 563s in canvas and upholstery shops and they run them hard (no speed reducers for those guys) and not too many problems.

Bottom line, buy from someone you know or on a solid recomendation.

Art

I was hoping some of you experts could help me choose for a middle of the line (say 69 to 214 thread)( and not to start a war) sewing machine, say neels ns 0797, or the consew 206 rb, juki 1541, techsew, tachsew, and the like. I 've been reading this fine forum for quite some time, think its great, I'm a little new to this craft and just starting to get the basics of tooling and sewing, I have the techsew GA5-1 and its a great heavy leather machine, so thought I'd ask for something a little lighter.

Thanks for the help. Bob

I would defer to everything Art has said and would suggest getting the machine you want from either Ryan Neel or Artisan.

Art knows better than I, but I feel that Consew is putting its name on similar machines and jacking its price on that alone, as if it thought its name was comparable to Juki and Adler.

Please keep in mind that I'm basing this on the purchase of a chinese (family sew/yamata/feiyue) walking foot machine that was nearly half the price of the same machine by Consew. I'm sure different machines are coming from different factories.

You can't go wrong with either Neel or Artisan, and, as Art suggests, Cobra.

ed

Art,

Does Cobra have a website?

ed

Hi Bob,

The sewing machine business has changes over the last decade or two and things are often not what they seem, claim, or happen to be. I can think of only one or two machines currently being made in the U.S.A., The Classic comes to mind. The Germans are not making machines either, Pfaff is kinda gone, and Adler is Chinese, some are assembled in Europe, but the parts are Chinese. Juki, Consew, and Mitsubishi go both ways, some machines are exclusively Chinese and some are Hybrids, few are all Japanese.

But...

Some of the Chinese machines are pretty good, some are just good, and some are awful. They are hard to tell apart because they knock-off each others designs (well, anybody's really) at the drop of a chopstick, and they all buy and sell parts to each other, and it goes on and on. Then their are enterprises that buy stuff from everybody and assemble it into their own line. They are in a time of rogue capitalism over there and companies may be making dolls and trinkets one day, and sewing machines the next, and nowhere to be found in a month or two.

The industrial sewing machine business in the U.S. is strictly import. For the leather business there are some modifications to the machines, but it consists of 3-5 sewing parts and a 1/2 hour at most of labor. Motors, speed reducers, tables/stands, belts, and heads. You really have to find a supplier who knows what to have manufactured and by whom over there, and how to service it after the sale. Harbor Freight may not be the choice for a leather sewing machine, but if you can service yourself, then maybe.

If you want a name, there is a new distributor under the machine name Cobra, who will be selling at Wickenburg and most shows thereafter. I know where his machines come from and can tell you they are excellent, his knowledge and service are second to none.

I have not heard a complaint about Neel's machines although I haven't seen any either, folks that have them seem to love them.

The Consew 206 RB (no numbers afterward) was I think the last of the Japanese 206s. Real nice machine but the later Chinese ones are pretty good too.

The Juki 1541 is a fantastic machine.

I've seen Tacsew 111s and 563s in canvas and upholstery shops and they run them hard (no speed reducers for those guys) and not too many problems.

Bottom line, buy from someone you know or on a solid recomendation.

Art

Hi Ed,

I expect there will be a lot more after Wickenburg, I will keep the board posted about their progress.

Art

Art,

Does Cobra have a website?

ed

I don't know if this is the same company Art has mentioned, but this one does make braiding machines that look awesome.

They are UK based with US presence and worldwide sales. If they are the same CO., that's great, because there must be a growing market for a Co. to add HD sewing machines...

http://www.cobrabraids.co.uk/textile.htm

Edited by rdb

I don't know if this is the same company Art has mentioned, but this one does make braiding machines that look awesome.

They are UK based with US presence and worldwide sales. If they are the same CO., that's great, because there must be a growing market for a Co. to add HD sewing machines...

http://www.cobrabraids.co.uk/textile.htm

Could the company perhaps be the same that makes this hand-held device?

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/Cobra-Mini-Chain-St...emZ380083732388

ed

I thank you all for the info...maybe cobra is something to look into.