Traveller

who uses a breast collar?

I've got a breast collar I picked up at a yard sale a couple of years ago hanging in my closet keeping all clean and dry.... I haven't done any serious up-and-down back country riding since I got it, though that's what it was supposed to be for. I'll join the local back country group this spring, but it'll probably be all dried and cracked by then!

Does anyone use a breast collar for anything other than back country riding? I assume that, if your horse has the kind of conformation that causes the saddle to slip, then you'd probably use it more often. But if your saddle generally stays in place during your regular riding day, do you ever find a use for one?

Thanks!

Again, it's a good thing to have a horse used to but I've never seen a real need for a breast collar. I understand that people who rope a lot like them (but I don't rope). I do have one and I use it regularly but, only because it was a gift and I'd hate to hurt the gift giver's feelings. It is hung loosely and, even in back country mountain climbing type riding, it doesn't tighten up so I don't see it as a necessary item but they do look good.

Edited by Echo4V

Traveller,

either I can't find it or the post I'm looking for got lost some time ago but I though there was a conversation about breast collars and flank cinchas.

There is arena work when they are most used and so outside arena applications.

I am not always agreed with on some of my thoughts on this subject. It is(IMO) a "whatever works for you" proposition.

My basic idea is that if your saddle fits properly you wont have much need. Of course there are exceptions, but in my experience as Echo4v mentioned, even in my back country riding both flankC and BC rarely came into play. If I am riding soeone else's horse I may use them, if that is their wish.

They did however become, what I call , misused, when less informed riders assume that they were intened as a fix to an illfitting saddle. Though they may,in fact, work to some degree, that doesn't mean it's good for the horse. So just a word to the wise as to the need and proper use.

I will admit that I used to use the BC and FC to look like I knew what I was doing, or to look like I was well equipped. But in later years other than showing off my work, I have more fun without them, that is, it is more impressive(if your intersted in impressing anyone) when I am out in the rough country and people realise I don't have them and wonder how I do with out them. In most of those occations it is noticable that my girth cincha is also not choking my mount. I explain that when your saddle fits properly,it stays in place, you have little need for BC or FC.( I believe a rider's riding style has something to do with that as well) That usually starts a good conversation for the rest stop or around the fire that night.

As to your comment about the conformation of the horse it is more important to me to look for a better saddle fit then to get a less well fitting saddle to stay on my horse. The horse is likely to pay the price, not to mention a horse peforms better for yu under a well fitting saddle.

I'm not saying don't use them, I'm just saying that mine hang on a hook in my shop most of the time, But that's just me. Cheers GH :P

i use breastcollars on all my horses...not that i need one but im used to them and so are my horses...i hate to have a need and have my horse jittery cause hed never had one on before. i use the shaped style and they dont rub or anything when put on right. i also use a rear cinch most of the time...same reason if i had to use it and my horse had never seen one that could be a problem.

I'm fortunate in that I live on the edge of a National Forest in northeast Washington. As a result, all of my riding is done in back-country conditions. Much of this country is mountainous. In spite of that, I ride without a breast collar on my horse.

As a previous poster has mentioned, if your saddle fits your horse, a breast collar isn't necessary. To me, it's just one more piece of equipment liable to get tangled up in bushes or low tree branches, and possibly cause a bad accident.

If I was roping and dragging cattle, maybe I'd use a breast collar. But, as a back-country trail rider and packer, I don't need it. If, after a long ascent or descent, I notice my saddle is slipping, it gives me an excuse to get off my horse to re-adjust things. This allows my horse a short break, which he appreciates. (Remember, when you're riding, and you want to reward your horse for his good work, the BEST reward you can give him is to get off his back for a few mintues!)

I DO use a rear cinch, though. Unlike lots of riders, I tighten the rear cinch so it makes snug (not tight!) contact with the horse's belly. By doing this, I can ride with my front cinch a bit looser, which makes my horse more comfortable.

Three cautions about using a rear cinch... First, ALWAYS have a connector strap between the front and rear cinches. This prevents the rear cinch from sliding back and turning into a rodeo bucking strap.

Second, keep the rear cinch snug, but not tight. If it's tight, it can restrict his ability to arch his back and move freely.

Lastly, NEVER let the rear cinch be so loose that it hangs down below the horse's belly! About 90% of riders I see using rear cinches use them wrong. I've seen some hanging as much as three or four inches below the horse. In the back-country, this is a disaster waiting to happen. Should a bush or low tree branch get caught in that cinch, or even worse, if the horse gets his own leg caught in the cinch, you're in for a life threatening experience.

I've ridden in the sierra foothills and high country. Much of it is extreamly steep, brushy and rocky, as long as you stay on trails you can get by with a saddle that fits. I have had to chase cattle out of very difficult terrain in which I would not be caught in without at least a breast collar. A crupper is agood idea in these situations too. I have litterally found myself side-hilling extreamly steep slopes using trees to keep my horse from sliding down the hill. (Maybe some one out here can explain why cows can run across them with seemingly no difficulty but you and your horse can't.) I have used a saddle in such situations only once before without a breast collar. That situation was going well and then due to a chain of events ended in disaster. I ended up with a dislocated shoulder, lost the cows, lost the horse I was riding (which a friend had to go find for me.) I ended up walking about a mile out of a nasty canyon before I could get a ride into town to get my shoulder put back. I had taken my breast collar off when cleaning and oiling my saddle. A rancher friend called up and asked for help. In my haste I did not grab my breast collar, unfortunately it cost me dearly.

The second half of this is be sure you know how to properly adjust and fit your gear. Flank cinches should not hang so loose that a horse stepping over an obstical can get a foot though the gap. Breast collars should center in the middle of the horses chest and allow the horse to put his head all the way down so he can eat or drink with no interferance. Adjusted so, there should be no chaffing the horse.

If you think breast collars are only for looks and generally an unneccasary item, then you have not been where I have. Anyone who does not use or pay attention to safety equipment during thier riding are asking for trouble.

GrumpyGuy makes some good points. I haven't chased cattle, and I've never roped one, so I find his comments very interesting. Once again, I guess the answer is... "It depends!"

The one SOLID fact I do know, and I'm sure many of you will agree with me... If there's a way for a horse to get himself in trouble he'll find it! Sometimes I wonder if horses were put on earth for us to love, or just to aggravate us!

The good thing with a breast collar is if you have a lose cinch or a mutton withered horse if the saddle was to roll it will not end up underneath the horse.

If you have a well shaped horse and a saddle that fits well you can ride with a loser cinch.

I once got of my horse and saw that I had a VERY lose cinch, 2 inches off the horse and did not know it.

This is not recommended and is dangerous but goes to show if all is perfect you can ride with little pressure on the cinch

Me I ride with both breast collar and back cinch but I admitted is mostly for looks

I use a breast collar and a back cinch also...it is gear used by everyone out here and I always assumed that everyone used both. As a roper, breast collars and back cinches are important gear for me. However, if a person was just doing casual trail riding, I can understand why a breast collar or back cinch could be eliminated. I've never seen a working cowboy out here without them...they wouldn't consider stepping in the saddle without them, and I wouldn't either, no matter what I was doing...but I can't say that I have always needed them...just hadn't considered not using them! In my humble opinion, however, I think that if you hang a rope on your saddle, you should be equipped with both...that's how I was taught. Through this forum, interestingly enough, I've discovered that quite a few people don't use either one...and in situations that I wouldn't consider being without them...but they're not wrong...they were just taught differently than I was. This leads me to believe that things are differrent in various regions for no other reason than tradition. And that's okay! There is always more than one way to skin a cat! If your saddle fits properly and you haven't found it necessary to add either piece of gear...don't worry about it! Personally, I would rather have have them and not need them, than need them and not have them! So, as was mentioned earlier, I guess the answer to the question is, it just depends! :yes:

(I couldn't find that earlier thread either...it had a lot of good arguments worth considering!)

Bob

I have used a breast collar in the past. the other day i did not have my breast collar on and i roped a down tree must have weighed 200lbs i had little to no slippage on my saddle. but for safety i think they are still neccesary