I tried Roon for the first time on some 8 oz. and got a gray/dry looking finish that I haven't been able to get rid of yet. I did a 10 second in, 10 out, in, out, in, out. Let sit for 10 mins,then did about a 10 second bs wash, then rinse in tap water. 5 mins later oiled with pure neatsfoot oil - it was beautiful. Fast forward 18 hours, it now looks grayish-dry looking. I re-oiled it and returns the deep black finish but lasts until the oil soaks in. I've put 5 coats of the oil and let some sit without wiping off. It's a little better but won't stay deep black. Did I do something else wrong?

post-40854-0-73197200-1391659869_thumb.j

Looks like your roon hadn't cooked enough. Let it age longer. Keep adding steel wool til it won't disolve.

I just soak for about 30 seconds. Baking soda rinse for a few seconds. Let dry 24 hours. Then oil.

Dan

It works better when its warmer also. My dye station is in an unheated/uncooled kitchen, in the summer I get great results from my vinegaroon with a one minute soak, in the winter it can take up to ten minutes to get the same depth of color.

Weird, the roon has been marinating for about 4 months. It had been stored in an attached garage - maybe that was it. I suspect there's no way to save this piece?

It might be salvageable, no piece is lost until all options are exhausted. Soak it for a couple of hours in some strong tea, that will bump up the tannins up, and dip it in the vinegaroon again for 5-10 minutes. Try to put the vinegaroon somewhere "room temperature" a few hours before you use it, you'll get a much better reaction that way.

It might be salvageable, no piece is lost until all options are exhausted. Soak it for a couple of hours in some strong tea, that will bump up the tannins up, and dip it in the vinegaroon again for 5-10 minutes. Try to put the vinegaroon somewhere "room temperature" a few hours before you use it, you'll get a much better reaction that way.

Re-rooned the piece this weekend using this method and it's a 100 times better!!!! Thank you very much!!

Would it hurt to repeat the process again for an even deeper black?

Should the tea soak be standard practice in the process or only on stubborn pieces?

I only boost the tannins when I have to, I don't like adding another step to the dyeing process if I can help it. It shouldn't hurt to repeat, it might help, it might not.

Another dunk in Vg doesn't hurt if you bathe in BS and oil. Gets darker and darker if your "roon" is done.

Well, it will get darker to a point, your belt will not turn into a light sucking void of utter blackness ;p