Sign in to follow this  
Pepi

leather for lining belts?

Can any one suggest a suitable leather for linning belts ,the belt blank is black leather 38mmx3.6mm (1.5"x9 oz),7 stitches per inch. Any info is always valued.Ken

I use leather for a liner--weight depends on how thick you want your product to be.

And the Hitler image...you could lose that.

I use lining on my belts all the time. 99% of this is chrome tanned skin about 1-2mm thick. I make sure that the surfaces are clean and then apply a coating of contact adhesive to both pieces and then allow to dry for about 10-15mins. then carefully stick together.

When stuck well and pressed together I would cut off the excess and sand the edge then either dip fully or edge dye the sanded edge. All depends on the finish that you want.

You may wish to sew before you dye in which case the stitching is vunerable to the dye colour or do it afterwards when all dyes are dry. A final coat of sealer or wax based antique and presto. A belt will generally last many more years than a single thickness belt. Cheers T

I will either line my belts with pig suede split, or for fancier belts I will use 5/6 oz for the outer, and line it with a 3/4 oz and carve the liner.

Also, I understand the whole Big Brother is Watching You concept, but please change your avatar, to something a little more family friendly, we do not want people to get the wrong idea since this is a public forum. Thank you.

Trev and Major thanks for the advice ,Major ta for the heads up on the avatar

Glad to be of service. Now that is a cool avatar. That would look cool on a piece of leather