StolpSaddles

Saddle Builder stand

Does anyone know who sells a stand for building western saddles besides Weaver leather?

I have been using a modified wood stand with a drawdown but it does not tilt unless I lay the stand on its side ..cumbersome and not very efficient...

Thank You

I've got one from Ron Edmonds that I have been well satisfied with. I would not get the overhead laser arm deal again probably. I definitely swear by the cantle sewing attachment that raises the back up (and you can "hang" the saddle to one side or the other) rather than tip the stand. Heres the link to his site - Ron's Tools . Iam not sure of anyone else selling them commercially.

I built my own with barber chairs... I'll post pics for you can see... it works good

I've got one from Ron Edmonds that I have been well satisfied with. I would not get the overhead laser arm deal again probably. I definitely swear by the cantle sewing attachment that raises the back up (and you can "hang" the saddle to one side or the other) rather than tip the stand. Heres the link to his site - Ron's Tools . Iam not sure of anyone else selling them commercially.

Ah well heck, Bruce. If you don't get a back ache for 3 days after stitching a cantle, kinda takes the fun out of it, don't it?

I built my own with barber chairs... I'll post pics for you can see... it works good

Hi Bob

I would love to see pics of your stand. I am thinking of building one myself or order the weaver leather one but I see problems with that design.

The draw down strap looks like it will not function in a tilt mode. The saddle can not be attached securely while tilted....

there must be a better system..

Edited by StolpSaddles

I had talked to a few guys who had the Weaver a few years ago and decided I didn't need any kind of hydraulic stand. Once we finally breed up horses with 180 degree withers and zero rock, then a flat plank will hold a tree. As it is, with angled bars and rock, well they don't. The swivel and pivot mechanism has let go on a few guys and slipped at really inopportune moments. With the drawdown attached to the base, you have raise it up to allow for the tension. You can't change height without changing tensions, and then you have those eyes and straps on the base to trip over. They used to make straps that went over the bars in front of the swells and behind the cantle to secure the tree while working on it tilted. I am not sure if they still do. That would probably be OK until you got your riggings on.

My wife talked me into the stand from Ron at a show. Cash and carry show special, we have the truck we can just haul it home, honey you need something better, this could replace both of your stands, this is really nice, it's a present, etc. His design had addressed the concerns I had seen with the other one. I figured for the time I'd spend putzing around making one, personally I was better off to get this one. I have sure seen some homemade ones that look good. Keith Seidel has one that has a little truer horse's back shape.

I agree with Bruce, I have the weaver special or not so special. I tried to modify the top, still does not work real well.

Theresa

Here's some pictures and additional information that Ron sent me last year.

One of the things that you should definitely read is Troy's response to the Stohlman profile for the saddle bars. Response on Profile

It's interesting that on Ron's web site he makes comments about the profile as well.

drawdown.jpg Cantle_Attachment.jpg

Lazer_011.jpg Lazer_018.jpg

Two of them look like what he has on the web site. The other two have more details.

Ron's Comments in Answer to Some Questions in Blue.

The biggest difference between our horse and Weavers is the bars the saddle tree sits on, ours are shaped to simulate a horses back, causing the saddle tree to stay in place and not slide around. Our stand uses a friction ratchet to pull down the draw down bar. We use a custom made leaf spring for our draw down bar, allowing some give on the draw down strap, making it easier to work the seat into place. Since our draw down is not attached to the base you can continue to turn and raise or lower the stand while using the draw down.

1) What are the significant differences between yours and the model that Weavers carry. I noticed that this one didn't have the drawdown bar attaching to the base... Ron's Draw Down Horse has been designed to be a helper to the Saddle maker by saving steps and tired muscles. The base turn 360 degrees, a built in brake allows the user to stop and lock at any point, the internal hydraulic pump gives the stand approximately 9 inches of lift, giving your back a change of position. The bars, covered with quality top grain leather, flesh side out, are contoured to resemble a horses back, holding the saddle tree firmly in place and at the proper angle. The draw down bar is made from a flat leaf spring, giving some flex to the bar. The drawing down is accomplished by a friction ratchet, which is operated from either end of the horse. As an addition we have available a cantle sewing attachment that allows you to tilt the tree to your desired angle.

2) How does the Cantle Binding Sewing Attachment work with this? Does it just raise the tree through the center section of the stand. Yes that is what it does

3) I have heard that there is also a laser attachment for rigging and such. If you have additional pictures and usage information about this as well that would be great. See attached pictures...

We make a laser attachment that can attach right to our draw down. After finding the center point of the horn and the top of the cantle, the laser projects a cross on the saddletree from above. One line would be set on the horn and cantle centers. The cross line gives you an exact 90 degree to the center line of the tree giving you a place to measure for the placement of the rigging plates, stirrup leather slots and etc.

4) Does the portion that holds the tree tilt or articulate any? No and the reason we don't is we haven't found a way to keep the tilting mechnisim from getting loose with time.

Ryan and Bruce both have the stand so they can be a wealth of information. I have seen a couple of others that have some form of hydraulic bases like Andy and Bob (Bob's already answered).

Hope these help. I was going to make some plans off of this but I haven't started yet.

Regards,

Ben

post-9-1235575141_thumb.jpg

post-9-1235575169_thumb.jpg

post-9-1235575184_thumb.jpg

post-9-1235575196_thumb.jpg

I also use the stand made by ron. It is great, kind of pricey but well worth it. The leaf spring design really puts alot of pressure in the seat. Also the cantle binding stitching attachment has saved my back.

I have bee nas of late if it wouldn't be doable to make one out of one of those saddle racks you get at places like Big D's and cover the top with carpet (one solid sheet, not wrapping it around the little metal bars) and putting a 2x4 at the bottom to handle all of the pull down stuff, of course one would have to make straps to do the pull down stuff, but then again, I honestly don't know a whole heck of a lot about this stuff. Will someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Here's a couple pics of a saddle stand in our shop.

Pictures_159.jpg

Pictures_160.jpg

Pictures_161.jpg

Pictures_162.jpg

post-5571-1241710020_thumb.jpg

post-5571-1241710030_thumb.jpg

post-5571-1241710036_thumb.jpg

post-5571-1241710043_thumb.jpg

Did you guys build that yourself or did you buy it from somebody? Can that swivel/tilt thingy ma bob be obtained easily?

http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=400055473395

I have been tinkering with the idea of making a hydraulic draw down out of a transmission stand. They pump up like a barber chair and also tilt fwd, back and to both sides.

Barra

transmission stand.jpg

post-1669-125446837596_thumb.jpg

Barra,

That is a really good idea. I have been looking for an old barber chair but that stand you found is even better. Where did you find that one?

Ryan

Nevermind, I found one! I looked for two hours last night at used barber / style chairs on craigslist and then at hydraulic chair pumps etc. This is exactly what I had pictured in my mind for less money. Best of all, there's a Northern Tool store within 3 hours of my house! I was thinking about putting a Stohlman style stand on top of it. The stand will be modified using Troy West's suggestions in a previous post. http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200308305_200308305 I was thinking about welding rings to the bottom supports for attaching my drawdown strap and using the hydraulic action for the down pressure. Just don't know if it will keep that pressure over night as sometimes those bottle jacks tend leak pressure. What do you think?

Ryan

Edited by ryan

Barra,

That is a really good idea. I have been looking for an old barber chair but that stand you found is even better. Where did you find that one?

Ryan

Nevermind, I found one! I looked for two hours last night at used barber / style chairs on craigslist and then at hydraulic chair pumps etc. This is exactly what I had pictured in my mind for less money. Best of all, there's a Northern Tool store within 3 hours of my house! I was thinking about putting a Stohlman style stand on top of it. The stand will be modified using Troy West's suggestions in a previous post. http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200308305_200308305 I was thinking about welding rings to the bottom supports for attaching my drawdown strap and using the hydraulic action for the down pressure. Just don't know if it will keep that pressure over night as sometimes those bottle jacks tend leak pressure. What do you think?

Ryan

I've thought about trying something like that but then I thought about how much my time was worth and recalled all the times I've tried to modify or jimmy rig something to make do and save a few bucks. It almost never pencils out. Pay the pain once.

Edited by Go2Tex

Could you post this picture again? I am trying to build a drawdown stand from a hydrolic barber chair and I need to figure how to mount the saddle on it.

Here's a couple pics of a saddle stand in our shop.

Hello Bob, Who built your saddle stand and what did it cost? Thanks Clint Haverty

I have one that I made using the instructions from the Stohlman's Encyclopedia. I have been using it for more years than I care to count, and it has served me well. If you are a tinker-er, making one like it with additional improvements to suit your needs, is a good way to go. A good solid base is a must, and being able to clamp/afix a tree to it in a manner that allows you to use the tilt/swivel feature is a must.

Bondo Bob

If you havn't seen this homemade drawdown that functions pretty well, you might take a look here. I been reading on here off and on for several days and just now found this thread.

Gary

Dangit! Can't attach a link to it???

It's over in the general saddlery discussion under Drawdown of a different color

My better half's surgery table at the Vet clinic (for small animals) raises, lowers, tilts, spins and folds. I will have to take a closer look at how it all works. May it can be modified. Think she'll miss it? Wonder how she'd 'splain that one to her boss? I'm sure that you can get used ones that are being discarded due to remodeling.